To Armourfend or not to Armourfend......

I’m getting my order sorted for my new toy and my dealer (Dream Machines in Heathfield) suggested that I might want to look at having Armourfend put on varous exposed parts of the car.

Is this a good thing to do, or have other looked at it and decided against it?

Thanks

Craig

Defo good, I have it and the front of my car still looks new (shame about the rest of it! LOL!).

You’ll only notice it if you look closely and so far (about 1 year) it’s not changed colour, yellowed etc… I’m a happy bunny

Davey s1 has it on his and I must say that it looks good…and the way he drives it he is going to need it

I say don’t do it.

1. It’s not cheap, probably the same cost as having your front end resprayed.

2. It protects the paint, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t get marked by stones… and after a while will need replacing too

3. Replacing + reapplying armourfend is harder than a simple respray.

4. It yellows over time, particularly noticeable on light coloured cars

Davey s1 has it on his and I must say that it looks good…and the way he drives it he is going to need it

Thanks Andy!

It is good but as has been said it still gets marked but I think its worth it. No idea how much mine was as the dealer put it on when they ordered the car.

I say don’t do it.

\
  2. It yellows over time, particularly noticeable on light coloured cars

My thoughts on this:

1. The trade off between the cost of a respray of the nose of the Exige and the cost of the armourfend is one I’ve asked Dream Machines to look into. In my mind, if it’s going to cost me GBP500 for the armourfend, and GBP500 for a respray then I’d rather go with the respray.

2. I went for black - doubt that the yellowing of the armourfend would be a probelem, but the different finish between the armourfended bodywork and the non-armourfended bodywork might be more noticeable.

Thanks for the help folks… :slight_smile:

Craig

I say don’t do it.

2. It protects the paint, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t get marked by stones… and after a while will need replacing too

3. Replacing + reapplying armourfend is harder than a simple respray.

4. It yellows over time, particularly noticeable on light coloured cars

I’d agree 100% with all these points.

Alan.

1. It yellows over time, particularly noticeable on light coloured cars

Probably less of an issue on yellow cars

What kind of time are you people thinking of when yellowing? I’ve had mine for over a year and it looks absolutely fine… But then I’ve not had many excursions into the gravel either

I guess if it’s kept in a garage then that helps too as the sunlight will cause that.

But if the hype is to be beleived then the new stuff when correctly applied will not yellow… Time will tell.

At the end of the day, when mine looks poo I’ll just pull it all off and then have a brand spanking new front which I can then get resprayed when the time comes

Defendall doesn’t yellow and covers more than armourfend or Invicashield.

I’m as hardocre as anybody out there but after having the paint blasted to not even the primer but the gelcoat I decided to apply the Defendall Kit.

Looks much better that any of the other ones and is guaranteed not to yellow.

Just to follow up on this - I’ve now got the prices to Armourfend the car.

The kit includes:

Full nose section
Full side sills and rear arch
Door lock surrounds
Door mirrors
Rear wheel arch undersides

and, fitted, costs GBP650+VAT (GBP763.75)

and a front-end respray costs GBP800+VAT (GBP940)

I’m thinking that “not to Armourfend” is the solution…

Craig

Guys, start trying Defendall.
It covers much more than that and it’s less than �300!

Apart from that, I don’t know what to say.

Call them for details if you wish: http://www.defendall.co.uk/

HOW MUCH !!! You’re going to the wrong place.

I don’t pay much more than �300 or so.

HOW MUCH !!! You’re going to the wrong place.

I don’t pay much more than �300 or so.

I’m not planning on paying it - it was just the comparative cost that Dream Machines gave me. I must admit that I did think that it was a bit pricey.

I guess if they have a tidy side line in selling Armorfend (or whatever it’s called) then they will highlight the high cost of the alternatives.

Local company to here, Normandales (they do panel repairs+paintjobs for touring cars, rally cars, Ferrari challenge etc) and they quoted me �250+vat to give either the Porsche or the Lotus a new coat of paint on the front.
Used them before and they’ve done a great job.

What happens when you try to remove Armorfend ? Do you get glue stuck on the car ?

What happens when you try to remove Armorfend ? Do you get glue stuck on the car ?

I would think so; that’s one of the reasons why I’m not going to get it done.

I would think so; that’s one of the reasons why I’m not going to get it done.

I’m sure it can be removed (the glue that is) with the correct cleaning materials

Heat it up slightly with a hair dryer then it just peels off, then wash down the areas then give it a good few coats of wax and you have a as new paint finish-had it on my RS focus and would haighly recomend it!