Tips when changing the battery

Well after 4 years and 7.5k miles the battery decides to pack in - at 7 pm the night before it was due its MOT, which was nice !!!

Been reading about the Varta / Halfrauds replacement and picked one up this am.

Any tips / things to watch for when changing the battery or is relatively straight forward.

thanks in advance

Con McL

Its a tight fit and the bolt that holds the bracket securing the battery can rust, so maybe difficult to remove. But other than that its pretty simple

Its a tight fit and the bolt that holds the bracket securing the battery can rust, so maybe difficult to remove. But other than that its pretty simple

Sean,

I wish youd seen me trying to remove my battery…it would have been easier to perform brain surgery!

I check with the owners manual first…no problem I thought, until I realised that you had to remove the radiator shroud and washer bottle, then try and release the securing bolt!

Great now thats done all I have to do is remove the battery…but its in such an difficult place that I couldnt stretch over to lift it out…and when I did the back left corner wouldnt budge!

After numerous unsuccessful attempts, yippee its out, only to find the battery tray badly corroded, presumably with battery acid…no problem i’ll just replace it…but once again its not that easy as its rivetted into the body, bo!!ocks!

One of the original connectors was corroded to so I thought id replace it, except Lotus wont sell you it on its own, couldnt find one anywhere else, you had to buy the cables it was attatched to…�73.00 plus vat…theyre having a laugh!

Anyway currently im awaiting two new connectors, a battery tray and a Bosch Silver battery…and who said changing the battery was a simple job…mind you I believe its even worse on a S1 Elise!

One of the original connectors was corroded to so I thought id replace it, except Lotus wont sell you it on its own, couldnt find one anywhere else, you had to buy the cables it was attatched to…�73.00 plus vat…theyre having a laugh!

Anyway currently im awaiting two new connectors

might be too late now, but if not you could try Vehicle Wiring Products they stock a good range -

[image]http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/BATTCON/photo/bt450.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/BATTCON/photo/39901.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/BATTCON/photo/bt461.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/BATTCON/photo/02100.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/photos/b166p.jpg[/image]

Thanks Steve…one chap on SELOC suggests that it may not in fact be acid corrosion but a leaking washer bottle, any thoughts???

Thanks Steve…one chap on SELOC suggests that it may not in fact be acid corrosion but a leaking washer bottle, any thoughts???

Depends whether or not you’ve got aircon. In non-aircon cars, washer bottle sits on top of battery. With aircon, washer bottle is located in front nearside wing area, & nowhere near the battery.

Depends whether or not you’ve got aircon. In non-aircon cars, washer bottle sits on top of battery. With aircon, washer bottle is located in front nearside wing area, & nowhere near the battery.

Good point, mine has got aircon, therefore I can only assume that its battery acid…but any idea why a 1 year old battery should leak acid?

but any idea why a 1 year old battery should leak acid?

1. Split, cracked or pin hole in casing - caused by poor initial manufacture, poor handling or incorrect fitment (allowing it to move around in the tray and split/crack)

2. Overfilled with electrolyte/water and venting out of the inspection holes

3. Venting tube loose or fallen off at battery end and so venting down side of battery and into the battery tray

4. Fault elsewhere in the charging system which is overcharging the battery and causing the battery to “boil” over

but any idea why a 1 year old battery should leak acid?

1. Split, cracked or pin hole in casing - caused by poor initial manufacture, poor handling or incorrect fitment (allowing it to move around in the tray and split/crack)

2. Overfilled with electrolyte/water and venting out of the inspection holes

3. Venting tube loose or fallen off at battery end and so venting down side of battery and into the battery tray

4. Fault elsewhere in the charging system which is overcharging the battery and causing the battery to “boil” over

Number 3 seems likely as when i removed the battery the venting tube had been crushed beneath the battery therefore rendering it inoperative!

Well Job done - but took much longer than anticipated.

Was pretty striahgt forward except for the mistake of dropping the securing brackef down the gap to the front right corner of the battery tray. Resuced by the special tool known as a wire coat hanger.

Mine is an aircon car and there was slight corrosion on the battery tray but nothing to much.

Cause of it on my car was overcharging caused by a knackered battery conditioner which was not regualting. Would hate to think what state it would have been if it had just been a trickle charger with no regulator.

Tip from me is if you’ve got a trickle charger bin it and get yourself a proper battery conditioner before it knackers your battery or your battery tray.

I have heard horror storys of batterys exploding, through over charging. Being covered in acid when it goes pop, is definitely NOT on my list of things to do!!!

Im going to start from scratch again…brand new battery, brand new battery connectors,and fit a brand new battery tray if i can get the old one out with a ‘nonslip’ mat fitted underneath the battery!

Any clever tips on how to remove the battery tray?