Thinking of joining the fold

Hi there…I’m hoping I can find some useful advice here and possibly even join your crowd

I’ve been running an E30 M3 as a track car for a number of years, this is me here in this picture actually : [image]http://photography.truncated.co.uk/albums/userpics/10001/exige_1.jpg[/image]

I sold this car at the end of the Summer becuase I fancied a change. I bought a 993RS which was/is fabulous but I’ve realised I still want to do regular track days and it’s not financially viable for me to run a car like the RS once a month on track.

Soo… I’ve sold the RS, subject to passing an inspection anyhow and that means the hunt is now on in earnest for a track car. I’ve looked at a few options but I am almost certain the Exige is the way I want to go.

So I’m hoping for as much help as possible… I’m a complete noob to these cars, who could I use to help me check a car over/ do an inspection. Is there a good site listing the things to look for & ask about on S1 cars

Speaking of S1… should I look for an S1 or an S2? I’m after a track car so it doesn’t have to be concours, although I do want it to be road legal and I mechanically top draw

If I bought a racer - how hard would it be to get it through the SVA etc? Motorsport Elise

So many questions…

[image]securecaravanstorage
[image]securecaravanstorage

Thanks for any input you can offer…

Hi & welcome.

First a simple question for you - whereabouts are you based? Reason - let’s see if any regulars are near you, with a view to having a chat over a pint

Mr Pesky… Thanks for the response. I’m actually in Central London (Pimlico) and work by Green Park so if anyone wants to meet up and offer me input then the drinks are on me.

who could I use to help me check a car over/ do an inspection.

Hi and welcome - depending on the location of the car there are a number of independant repair/maintenance places could probably do this for you. Better still if its an S1 ask on here and sometimes the provenance is well known!

Is there a good site listing the things to look for & ask about on S1 cars

you are on it now! Perhaps another good site is SELOC

Speaking of S1… should I look for an S1 or an S2? I’m after a track car so it doesn’t have to be concours, although I do want it to be road legal and I mechanically top draw

Most people, if not all, will say that the S1 is the more focussed trackday car

If I bought a racer - how hard would it be to get it through the SVA etc? > Motorsport Elise

well probably not impossible, but probably very expensive and I have to say a bit of a waste of a racer…it will be much easier to take a road car and add the track options you want rather than the other way around.

There is an excellent aftermarket for bits for the Exige

Thanks Steve… comments appreciated. I think I am definately going to look for an S1.

I’ve just had an excellent telephone conversation with Mr Pesky… plenty of great advice and a really nice chap. What can I say, 90 mins after posting this topic and I’ve answered most of the questions I had.

Right… now to find the right car.

Tom, enjoyed talking with you. I’m convinced that you’ll become a dedicated Exiger, just like the rest of us on here

Good luck with the search

looks like you enjoy your trackdays and trackday machinery - an Exige won’t let you down.

Out of curiosity - who do you normally do your trackdays with?

Well for the last 5 years the E30-M3 shown above, before that I had less serious machinery… a 205-GTI and then a 306 rallye before buying 2-door Subaru Impreza STi all in which I attended trackdays but not frequently until I got the M3.

The 993 was intended to mark me taking a break from frequent track days but I couldn’t do it… I’m itching to get back out in the new season and sadly I can’t afford to regularly run a car that costs something like �35k (or about �5k just for a top end re-build if you buzz it)for a new engine and �900 for a set of Cup tyres.

sounds like Pesky probably srted you out but welcome along anyway

Hi Tom,

I am in London (Barnes area) and there are a few of us out in the SW London’ish area. Quo, IDG, Randy, Escaper to name a few. My car is about to have a Honda heart transplant (plus a few other goodies ) and is doing its best to misbehave and run like a pig until that happens. So if you have still not found a car in a month or two then I’ll take you out for a run in my honda beastie. Glad to hear that there will be another Exige to join the convoy out of London to trackdays

Cheers

Ben

Must say though, that Porsche RS looks absolutely stunning I could happily have one in my garage (next to the Exige, of course!)

Thanks Pesky, the 911 really is something special. Arguably the 993 is the best looking 911 ever made, it was the last air-cooled car and a factory clubsport spec RS like mine is without doubt an appreciating asset. Some more 911 pics here

However… this car was something of a mixed blessing. The condition was immaculate when I acquired her that the task of keeping it to that level was daunting. Furthermore I didn’t buy the car to track and to do so properly/regularly is beyond my budget - as is keeping her and buying a second toy (besides who has the time unless you’re old and retired… not to mention I rent a house out up North for less than some people rent parking spaces where I live in London)

That said they are superb around a circuit in standard form, really quite superb. Thing is I remember chewing up plenty of 911’s on track in my E30-M3 with little respect (I’m sure you can relate to this in Exiges) but I realise now that it’s no simple thing progessing a 911 rapidly around a circuit - so respect now earned

Finally to add I’m off to see an Exige or two tomorrow… I’ve been very busy reading up all things Lotus this weekend.

Hi Tom,

I am in London (Barnes area) and there are a few of us out in the SW London’ish area. Quo, IDG, Randy, Escaper to name a few. My car is about to have a Honda heart transplant (plus a few other goodies ) and is doing its best to misbehave and run like a pig until that happens. So if you have still not found a car in a month or two then I’ll take you out for a run in my honda beastie. Glad to hear that there will be another Exige to join the convoy out of London to trackdays

Cheers

Ben

Thanks Ben, I’m sure I’ll catch up with you guys - would be a pleasure. The picture of my 911 in the orange hue is from one of the original 4am Sunday tunnel runs (before it became to much of a general public event)

Pint anytime gents… the bar is open. Particularly if you work in the oil/energy industry (you’ll know what this week is then)

Pint anytime gents… the bar is open. Particularly if you work in the oil/energy industry (you’ll know what this week is then)

Quo (Christian) is an oil trader I think, and the owner of a rather rapido SC Honda Exige - he lives in Kingston. We will organise a Sunday lunch for us Southerners in the spring - last one was a couple of years ago.

Tom

You didn’t buy the 911 from Julian T did you, per chance?

Quo (Christian) is an oil trader I think.

Sounds good, same business as myself

My car… no I bought it from a guy out the Porsche car club, he lived in Cheshire

So… I’ve only gone and done it

[image]http://www.dailysportscar.com/free/classified/images/lotusexige6.jpg[/image]

Nice one! you’ve definately bought the right car

So… I’ve only gone and done it

[image]> http://www.dailysportscar.com/free/classified/images/lotusexige6.jpg> [/image]

Well knock me down with a feather - that’s a real surprise

Not

Well done, that’s a fab car

quality!

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again white is rare for a sports car but they dont half look good!

Is it for track use only?