Thinking about buying...

Hi all

I currently own a VX220 - fantastic car, love the looks, sounds great with he Vauxhall track exhaust on it, but, well… I’m always looking forwards

Have always liked the S1 Elise, and for me the Exige addresses the 2 things that I don’t like about it… a) the looks - I find the standard Elise not agressive enough, Exige sorts that nicely… b) the performance - std Elise S1 (and my 2.2 VX) just don’t have enough power for me, again Exige sorts that out nicely … so I went to have a look at titanium X plater at a dealer near Brooklands in Surrey, had a look around it (love those 4 point harnesses) and coming from the VX, it just felt so right

It had some sort of single exit sports backbox on it, and the dealer ran it for a short time (it was in the showroom)… at which point I got that feeling that I always do when I know there is no point in trying to stop the inevitable

So I want one!!!

But I have a few questions (bear with me )

I’m not really flushed with money, but I think I could afford one - what are the running costs like? How often does the K series need servicing and how much does it cost on average? How many miles is average for a tank of petrol - 180 is average for the 33l tank on my VX

When I drove the Elise S2 I ended up locking up the fronts on the test drive - after coming from the VX with ABS, I am a little concerned about locking up the brakes in such a serious car. Dealer with Exige explained to me that the reason why it’s so easy to lock the fronts on an S2 (to the un-initiated anyway) is because they are a lot narrower than the S1 front tyres due to Lotus trying to dial in a bit more understeer. This seems to make sense to me, and he said that the front wheels on the Exige are so much wider than the S2 that it’s very difficult to lock

Would I be right in thinking that the Exige is a pretty good investment in terms of money and that the residuals would be pretty good due to the rarity.

The one I saw was on Yokis - very nice almost look like hand cut slicks but what are they like in the wet and are they super expensive?

Thanks for reading my boring spiel people, and thanks in advance for any replies

TT

Oh… just another quickie

What sort of 0-60 and 0-100 times can the std and 190bhp versions do?

Cheers

See here - http://www.exiges.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=3449

But (as you’ll read) the Exige really isn’t about 0-60. I think it’s a bit of a pig to get moving but then you hardly ever need to slow down again! As many Ferraris, Porsches, TVRs, etc find out on track.

Ian

See here - > http://www.exiges.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=3449

But (as you’ll read) the Exige really isn’t about 0-60. I think it’s a bit of a pig to get moving but then you hardly ever need to slow down again! As many Ferraris, Porsches, TVRs, etc find out on track.

Ian

Cheers mate - I’m aware of the better-round-corners-than-straight-lines thing already with the VX! Just wanted to compare th figure with the VXT etc

Am test driving the baby on wednesday…

Wow, really long post. Where to start?

Running costs: you’ll find that the car doesn’t use lots of fuel.
Mine consumes:
road: 26mpG, track: 13mpG
The biggest expense so far is:
-Trackdays (and the fuel and hotels to travel the UK for them)
-Brakes pads and disks
-Tyres

Locking the fronts: yes you can, but that would come after more than 1.2 G’s deceleration.
The S2 and VX have much narrower tyres and that makes them understeer and lock easier.
I don’t thnk anybody here locks the fronts often, except on the wet (the brake bias is strongly to the front).
But then again, why be afraid? it’s not like in a motorcycle, you won’t fall over.
And if you’re used to ABS, you’ll hae to use your brain as ABS, modulate. Addd advantage: brain is portable.

Investment? I would say that it won’t lose as much money as others. But you can’t really call any car an investment, unless you buy it and lock it in a box to be opened 20 years later.

Yokohamas A048, expensive but the best out there. I wish there was anything comparable, but not so far. If you do road only, Toyo’s are OK.

0-60 is claimed at 4.7s, but you’ll slip the clutch and terrible smell will follow. Apart from that, you can hamer it. Rolling starts are preferred.

Browse around this site and… have fun!

Uldis

Uldis - spot on

Cheers for the info!

Do they lock up that easily in the wet?? Don’t wanna go stuffing it when the bad weather starts…

By investment I mean in relative terms!! I realise that every car will depreciate, but the Exige less so than most, yes?..

Burning clutch?? Sounds like the VX if you want a quick start!!

Test drive tomorrow, we’ll see how it goes, but mentally I think I’ve bought it already… doh!!

TT

Tomato, it is easy to stop the brakes locking. Because using your brakes properly is very much like making love to a beautiful woman…

Tomato, it is easy to stop the brakes locking. Because using your brakes properly is very much like making love to a beautiful woman…

“You gotta warm her up and then pump her like she’s going out of fashion”

So the one I went to test drive was sold

So I bought a 190bhp black one instead!!! Woohooooo!!

Should be picking it up around middle of next week… so long as bank loan goes through ok…

TT

Should be fun pumping a black one…

Nice choice, I’ve just bought a black one from Murray Lotus in Edinburgh. What reg/milage.price is yours?

Doh!! Bank loan fell through

So deal was off with that car… have now got the loan that I need, but need to sell my current car

Did I say I have a VX220 for sale, if anyone wants it??

TT

Sorry to hear that, I pick up the black exige on the 3rd.