The Ultima

Recently I’ve been reading up on Ultima’s. Depending on what you read they’re either a typical British problematic kit car or the most thrilling thing on 4 wheels. Most literature and articles are donkeys years old but around 4 years ago Ultima went on a mission to improve the quality, fit and finish and useability of the cars. Visually the new cars are stunning. The chassis is all plated and coated and all the fasteners look to be stainless steel. LS engines mated to Porsche gearboxes. They look to be a nicely finished thing these days.

Has anyone here in Exiges have any experiences of a modern Ultima either good or bad?

They’re definitely an interesting car. The slowest engine they offer has a mere 480bhp, 400+ ftlb and the car weighs just over 900kg. The mid way engine has over 700bhp. And the range topper has over 1000bhp. Madness.

They’re like the Love child of a Caterham 620R and a group C race car :slight_smile:

Or is that the love child of an 80’s kit car and your wallet?

I should probably be more kind, as there have been a number of good things written about them.

I’ve just been on their website, and can see that they are mentioning that the latest model has improved sun visors and brake reservoir.
Perhaps they are nearing a more regularly usable prospect :slight_smile:

They’re a proper thing. Designed by Lee Noble. Used as a mule by McLaren and Gordon Murray when they were developing the F1 back in the day.

Someone on here used to race one in GT Cup, MacG racing or something like that. It used to live in a corner of the BaT storage facility.

I can see the appeal at a certain level, it’s a Group-C inspired car for the road after all, what’s not to like! For an occasional use highdays/holidays kinda car I’m sure it would always be an event. They do look like the kinda thing that would just eat money though.

You thinking of building one Adam??

I’d love to build one. I agree Ben, I bet for a short time they’d be hilarious fun but I’m not sure I’d want to own one. I imagine they’d be too powerful as well. 700bhp would be way to much for road use and possibly too much for most UK tracks.

I was watching an Ultima build series on YouTube and underneath the skin they’re not dissimilar to something like an original GT40. Space frame with riveted aluminium panels and a giant 7L V8.

There’s lots to like about them.

Currently finishing off build of one with a friend, who has owne a CanAm version for last 5 years, doing many euro trips with us.

This car has a 550 bhp LS3 so doesn’t hang around :wink:

Was more a project for fun, so will be for sale once it goes through IVA.