The Newbie FOUND ONE in the U.S.!

What are the odds? I live in Florida and just across the state is this Exige! >> 2000 Lotus Exige
Any thoughts on this year?, Engine? Version?
Again, I’m really new to the Lotus, so I need a bit of an education.
Should a newbie even attempt to get into someting like this, or should I have more patience and order a new Federal one?

TIA guys!!

Martin

That is excellent!
But as far as I knew if there as any, it would be for track use only, and it has lots of track options.
It has a license plate, but check if it is road legal AND the motive of the guy selling it.
Could it be because he’s been told to sell it otherwise it goes to he crusher?

I met a guy at bedford who had just picked up a LHD dark blue exige that he was taking back to the states to race and just for track use…

IIRC that’s the only reason they can exist over there, so as Uldis says, make a through check!

But for info, all S1 Exiges were / are equal (just some more equal than others ), all the revisions had been made to the Elise and implimented in the Exige… So no year will make a difference for the whole production run.

But as for running one, as the K series engine AFAIK never was allowed in the US, spares may be a bit tricky unless people do stock Rover parts in the US???

But for info, all S1 Exiges were / are equal (just some more equal than others ), all the revisions had been made to the Elise and implimented in the Exige… So no year will make a difference for the whole production run.

Is that completely true? I think you’re right on pace, but I thought little things changed through the run. I know I got the updated wheel liners and didn’t the loom change or something?

Ian

Ah maybe Ian… And some of the cosmetics, some don’t have the little studs on the rear clam behind the roof… Robbo’s didn’t, mine did… Didn’t, don’t know about the loom

But I thought all the little differences were because of whoever built then, and what they could find in the parts bin

Yep your right, mine doesnt have the studs… and

It has the proper rear clam with the infill around the exhaust…

That gets very hot and now looks like it has a baked black enamel finish!!!

I think mine was one of the first (no 52) so I guess it doesnt have some of the refinements of the later cars

If that is the car I’m thinking of - it was owned by a gentleman from Georgia and was sold to someone in Florida. The car was going to have a Dave Andrews motor installed but became a bit too much work and the whole lot was sold. If I remember, the shocks needed to be rebuilt as well.

It has also had some clam work done as it was backed into a tire wall.

But, for the price and the mods - pretty great track car.

Thanks guys for all the help, and yes, it’s the Exige from Gerogia, that had a minor shunt taking off the righ rear wheel well… So, I’m going to go have a look see next week. The dealer, as expected, will not help me in any way with getting it registered for the street. However, I found another Exige in California, it’s on Ebay presently, with the Honda/supercharger re-power. And this one has had a previous street registration in Florida, where I presently live. Maybe I could “revive” that old registration? I don’t know. I do know one thing, I want to “street” the car in Florida before the move to California because of the emissions issues in California. (There are none in FL)

Thanks again for all your info, encouragement and help…

Marty

Is that Joe’s car? Try a search on ‘Joe’ for some history.

Ian

I would not currently try to register a car in FL. The Feds have cracked down on the Series 1 cars and have had many “deported”. The one for sale in CA is for export only as well. FL was a hotbed of activity in recent years.

It is a car converted by “Joe”…