The Know how....

hi all,

seeing as i will be a new exige owner from monday, what is there to look out for on the owning of this car?

driving pros and cons
cleaning problems ( water leaks )
engine probs?

anything you hink i should look for etc.

any help would be awesome.

cheers fellas.

General squeaks - they all do that - no cure
Front wheel arch liners fall out - just fit bigger screws
Tappety S2s - knackered high speed cams - dont buy a tappety one.
AC can do some strange things like switch off all of a sudden - this was caused by a sensor which was put in the wrong place on some cars and can be fixed.
Radio reception is pants - get a decent aerial, LED tailights interfer with radio too.
Hard top screw covers at the back occasionally fall on your head - no cure
Random central locking faults - sometimes go away on there own, some have fitted a new CDL module.
Passenger footrest comes away from floor - its only stuff down with trim tape. Replace tape.
MIL lights can come and go. I’ve never had any but I rackon certain aftermarket airboxes have the wrong bore which gives a MAF error.
Stage 2 exhausts fall apart internally, regularly - avoid. Plenty of better options.
Rear tyres last 5 minutes - poss switch to Toyo R888s which are cheaper and a bit harder.
The ABS system has some sort of winter mode I think which basically knobbles the brakes if you hit a rut while braking. I’d do a few deliberate ABS stops and get a feel for them.
I dont know if its just me but the brakes are crap in the wet - the mid engine layout (weigth distribution) doesn’t transfer enough force onto the front tyres (cadence effect?) to allow rapid stops. Again just try it out.
Dont forget to push the red tailgate strut doobry every time you close the boot - I’ve seen several knackered ones,
Buy decent oil and dont use franchised dealers for servicing, they’ve screwed my car up at every visit.

Oh yeah - stone chips - fact of life really. Some people spend �450 on aromourfend, some say sod it I’ll save my money and wait for a respray one day. I bought DIY S2 paint film kit for �50 of from the on line store. Also, more recent cars have much bigger stone guards on the sides. I retro fitted these for ~ �80

Also, always keep your undertray bolts well oiled / coat the threads with never seize - they allways seize up and snap off (the dealer mullered mine and didn’t bother putting them back my car started clanking badly

So then Bob, apart from all that aint the cars fantastic

So then Bob, apart from all that aint the cars fantastic

I’m still here aren’t I?

I just listed everything which sprung to mind. Most of those things haven’t affected me and I like to tinker anyway!

General squeaks - they all do that - no cure
you can quieten most of them down with a bit of effort
Front wheel arch liners fall out - just fit bigger screws
warranty job
Tappety S2s - knackered high speed cams - dont buy a tappety one.
is yours new or used?
AC can do some strange things like switch off all of a sudden - this was caused by a sensor which was put in the wrong place on some cars and can be fixed.
also the illumination of the heater controls can be a bit iffy
Hard top screw covers at the back occasionally fall on your head - no cure
take them off
MIL lights can come and go. I’ve never had any but I rackon certain aftermarket airboxes have the wrong bore which gives a MAF error.
if it flashes - pull over. if it’s on constantly, dont worry
Stage 2 exhausts fall apart internally, regularly - avoid.
fantastic sound IMO. get it from the dealer and warranty will cover the breaks. it lasts about 6k miles. 3rd party can invalidate engine warranty, at the very least make a claim more of a headache
Rear tyres last 5 minutes - poss switch to Toyo R888s which are cheaper and a bit harder.
bite the bullet and accept the best (A048’s) will only last 6k max
The ABS system has some sort of winter mode I think which basically knobbles the brakes if you hit a rut while braking. I’d do a few deliberate ABS stops and get a feel for them.
good advice, its awful
Buy decent oil and dont use franchised dealers for servicing, they’ve screwed my car up at every visit.
if you must go to a dealer i highly reccommend bell and colvill

LOL, Love the synopsis Bob!
My stock brake pads lasted only slightly longer than the 5mins it took to wear out the rear tyres. I put in the Porterfield R4’s and the brakes have been lovely ever since.
Also I’d recommend the getting the stone-guard and then getting a second layer fitted along the sills. That has worked great for me, I have no damage along the sides. Stopping chips out of the roof and rear wings are another matter though.

thanks all…mostly bob…this has been fantastic…

its 2nd hand, but engine sounds true.

ill check al lthe other stuff…

it comes with warranty…

you have all been ace…

this sites ace…

cheers