The car hits a rev limiter between 5500 -6000 revs in all gears

hi. my exige s1 k series vhpd intially had a miss fire at low revs, worse the more spirited the attempted getaway. Then on my way to get it looked at it developed what feels like it’s hitting a rev limiter between 5500-6000 revs . we’ve cured the low down problem but still have the rev limiter problem. so far, we’ve tested the feed/earth to the ignition coil, fitted a new coil, ht leads and plugs. the Vac lines and breather piping has also been checked. any thoughts?

I suggest you read the long thread on here on TPS sensor. Similar fault, loads of suggestions, eventually fixed but not sure why.

Exige ecu has a “limp” mode. Limits to 5500.

:rofl::rofl:

So I have been through this as you will see on the TPS thread. Difference here was I didn’t have a misfire, but the car thought I had.

Is your engine light coming on?

If it’s not then the limiter should disappear every time you turn the car off, and only reappear if it detects a new misfire.

thanks guys will take a look

I had the same rev limit issue at 5.5k rpm.

Turned out to be the wheel speed sensor connector on the rear right. Its cable tied to the lower wishbone and can become stretched and then disconnected.

The orginal ecu uses it but not an emerald.

cheers dris. having read the extended posts regarding the issue i am convinced it’s the wheel speed sensor, particularly after further investigation. i.e. i shut the car down, re started it then revved the engine, went straight through to 7000 with no issues. then drove the car down the road and limiter kicked in at 5,500 on first pull.

Quick test of the wss, at least it’s true for my car. Drive sedately and get the car warm. Drop the car into neutral whilst moving, you will see an idle rpm of about 1500. Once the car comes to a stop, you can use the brakes, the idle speed drops to about 1200, normal warm idle. My only suggestion for this feature is that it was needed to pass some emissions test. If the car goes immediately to 1200 idle rpm when moving, the wss is not working. Exige has two, one for the Stack and one for the Ecu.

This worked for me when you gave the same advice :+1: