Tesco Motor Insurance F**king Useless

Tesco have adopted a new tactic in securing insurance business.They give you a nice low quote, protected no claims, no charge for track day cover or increase in excess. Super!! They then write to you the day before you are due to collect the car and state and I quote.It is requirement of your cover that your car has a Tesco Insurance approved tracking security device…without proof of installation you are not covered for theft or attempted theft.I don’t care how many clubcard points I’ve got, they have zip chance of any more business petrol, shops or financial services included.As for the every so polite, nauseating bitch in customer services - I hope she has a lifelong head ache from the expletives communicated to her over the phone.Every little helps…my arse!!!

I thought (although it is a Lotus option) that all insurers insist on a Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm for a car of this type.

No one would even quote me without a cat1 alarm and tracker.The tracker is probably money well spent, as any decent thief will know how to get 'round most alarm systems. Also adds to you re-sale-ability…Rob

Tracker only works is the local Police force care about car theft. The police area car I was in recently (don�t ask [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/frown.gif[/image] ) didn�t have Tracker equipment, but had lots of speed detecting stuff. It just goes to show the priority of my local force. Chris.

Paul, as you know,I am with T**co, I have no such requirement, just an approved immobiliser. Strange.

quote:Originally posted by RussT:Paul, as you know,I am with T**co, I have no such requirement, just an approved immobiliser. Strange. Russ,When did you start your policy with Tesco?They are stating that tracker devices have been added as a stipulation in the last 6 months.

The very same thing happened to me with Tesco… Quoted me �980 for the Exige (�1100 for 190 upgrade), shopped around, found them to be the cheapest. Rang them back up to accept the quote (after I’d bought the car) and then told me I needed a tracking device. So, I ditched them - they don’t do trackdays either. Took out insurance with Esteem - �1400 including 190 upgrade, track day cover, no tracker…

quote:Originally posted by TT:Took out insurance with Esteem - �1400 including 190 upgrade, track day cover, no tracker…But isn’t that the same as a �1100 policy + cost of a Tracker, but without the peace of mind ?!?

quote:Originally posted by Admin5: But isn’t that the same as a �1100 policy + cost of a Tracker, but without the peace of mind ?!?Its not just the cost of the Tracker, but also the yearly subscription. Although I only installed Tracker as part of a special offer, but a year later my car was returned withing 3 hours of it going missing, thanks to Tracker. They also caught the chaps that took my car, again thanks to Tracker.

Took out policy with Tesco April 2001. No tracker reqd., totally free trackday cover (including talking to them recently about last weekends Anglesey day). [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/confused.gif[/image]

Hey guys,Lets be philisophical about this.I paid �800 for the supply and fit of a Tracker Horizon, and a futher �299 for a lifetime contract. This had no effect on the premium I paid to Esteem Insurance.At least I can sleep with a clear conscience at night in the knowledge that I have done my bit to fight car crime, and protect the newest member of my family.

Car stays in the garage when its not being driven or in the secure car park at work. If someones going to nick the car, they’ll take it anyway - they don’t know its got a tracker. And to be honest, I wouldn’t want the car back once some toe rag had his mitts all over it… Hence the reason for going Esteem and not Tesco… (�300 for not having tracker and free track day cover). �1100 for a tracker - Ouch!Plus, trackers add weight… ;o)

quote:Originally posted by Logic:I paid �800 for the supply and fit of a Tracker Horizon. . That sounds rather a lot, mine was fitted about 5 years ago, cost should have been �200, as far as I remember, however AA had a deal that for policies over �800 they gave you a free Tracker. Is there not a cheaper version of the Tracker ?

quote:Originally posted by TT:Car stays in the garage when its not being driven or in the secure car park at work. If someones going to nick the car, they’ll take it anyway - they don’t know its got a tracker. And to be honest, I wouldn’t want the car back once some toe rag had his mitts all over it… Hence the reason for going Esteem and not Tesco… (�300 for not having tracker and free track day cover). �1100 for a tracker - Ouch!Plus, trackers add weight… ;o)I thought much the same as you, and only fitted a Tracker as it was free from insurance company ( see above ), however car was stolen from a very secure garage ( gang of thieves watched the house and then broke into the house and turned the place upside down until they found keys for house, garage, drive gates, security devices in garage, then drove off with my two pride a joys. Lotus ( with tracker fitted ) was returned to me within 4 hours ( found in a lock up garage ), other pride and joy never seen again. I didn’t have to make an insurance claim on Lotus and no damage. Bonus was gang were a little shocked that the car was found by police, especially as it had their finger prints on it. Satisfaction of seeing a gang bought to justice, that the police say had been active for a while, but until getting the finger prints they had no proof.Tracker unit is very small - honest.

Another little Tesco wheeze. Check your policy - mine said no tracker required, but only insured up to �30K.On pushing on being miss sold the product, they agreed to give me a full refund from date of taking out policy.I am not surprised, after checking the docs I’m pretty sure Tesco just resell Privilege products who insist on tracker on �30K+.

quote:Originally posted by Rod:however car was stolen from a very secure garage ( gang of thieves watched the house and then broke into the house and turned the place upside down until they found keys for house, garage, drive gates, security devices in garage, then drove off with my two pride a joys. Lotus ( with tracker fitted ) was returned to me within 4 hours ( found in a lock up garage ), other pride and joy never seen again. I didn’t have to make an insurance claim on Lotus and no damage. Bonus was gang were a little shocked that the car was found by police, especially as it had their finger prints on it. Satisfaction of seeing a gang bought to justice, that the police say had been active for a while, but until getting the finger prints they had no proof.Tracker unit is very small - honest.Excellent story.Just think of the misery these gits cause every day, stealing cars. I know you footed the bill Rod, but I expect you had a warm fuzzy feeling knowing you were helping your community.Methinks Tracker Horizon is a fancier version of the original Tracker.Bear in mind, it does help the resale value of your car (slightly). I was most happy to find my Porsche came with a tracker, which saved me the �500+ I was going to spend.