Temp in F and airbag fault light

I’ve disconnected my battery many times with no issues…but today after trying to fit a new steering wheel (minus airbag), I have managed to screw things up :crazy: after multiple battery disconnects :frowning:

1. I have an airbag light I can’t get rid of. I fitted a resistor which I ‘thought’ was in but a leg broke and when I connected the battery up, the airbag light came on and now I can’t get rid of it. The resistor is now definitely in but the light persists. I have left the battery off, tried Torque+ODB to reset faults but it persists :frowning:

2. The temp guage is now in F instead of Celcius :S That was a bit wierd

3. There is a ‘BRAKE’ word on the dash when the handbrake is on. I quite like that actually. I’m certain that was not there before.

Pretty annoyed with myself tbh. All for the sake of a removable wheel.

Anyone have any experience of any of this?

I have been told this sounds like my ECU has lost my VIN number. Does that sound about right?

Fairly sure it needs a dealer to reset.

yes dealer reset

So it’s lotus specific software? I’d hope that I could do it through obd.

Is it right that even though the resistor is fitted in the airbag plug, the error light stays on until reset?

When I replaced my airbag wheel the light was on all time as expected.

When I refitted the airbag wheel needed dealer to reset the light.

Did it upset mot’s? Ie do they fail for the light?

Cant recall Colin, but I did have to sign a disclaimer at dealers when car was new to confirm I was ok with no airbag.

I am sure if you know a friendly mot guy it shouldn’t be a problem.

Cheers for that.

God knows how I’ve managed to make the temp in Fahrenheit. I’ve been told the vin needs to be rentered.

Yes when I bought mine it was reading in Fahrenheit, dealer reassigned the vin and it worked a treat

Wwe took the bulb out of my mates clios dash for the airbag, that fixed the problem forever and now does not effect the mot as there is no light or airbag LOL

The temp in Fahrenheit is the most concerning aspect for me. I don’t understand why it is spontaneously doing it.

I would guess all the various units for temperature, etc. will be held on a eeprom somewhere and its just reading the wrong one as the VIN is missing. The VIN will be linked on factory records to the vehicle’s original country of sale, hence resetting the VIN will tell the ECU which units to make active.

I wonder why disconnecting the battery has made the vin disappear. Maybe the eeprom is fooked

Unlikely to have failed as it would just give garbage if it had. It’s not that unusual for an eeprom to do this - my company works with lab instrumentation and we see it quite regularly, usually when there has been a power problem, eg. a voltage spike or drop.

It’s easier to load all data onto an eeprom and then just access the necessary parts. That way all a service engineer needs to do is reset what’s being read rather than have to reprogram the settings.

So basically all that has happened is that the wrong data (for you) is being read, which should be corrected when the VIN is reloaded.

Well let’s say the battery connection was off and on for quite a bit :unamused: :unamused:

Many thanks for the guidance