..."Take an Exige to Europe!?!?!",I said.......

…“WOW”.

The story goes thus…
The Future Mrs Elise111S said to me, " So we can’t think of a suitable honeymoon over our original idea of buying a Caterham and taking it to Europe for a fortnight, so why don’t we just buy an Exige and go in that instead?"

I almost choked! After 4.5 years of Elise ownership (thanks Mhaney) and thinking how I could convert it to an Exige, we’ve decided that going down the original Exige route would be a good scheme. The funds are nearly there (pending the fitment of new drive and bathroom)and the wedding is next year, so we’re all happy apart from that gap in the garage. Obviously we’ll be dictated to by the market, but want a standard ish car that hasn’t been Honda’ed, striped, or abused.

Now for the practicallities of such a venture. Full European break down cover, service the car before leaving, squashy bags (can anyone recommend a brand of bag for the “bootspace”?), Map, and wonga for hotels and camping stuff.Anything else???

Cheers,
Kurt

I don’t know if you know it but outside UK, Europe is a big… very big :slight_smile: country :slight_smile: and in the campings of Europe, we usually burn any exige found to cook our meat…

Besides that, do you have an itinery? a list of countries that you want to visit?

Have you plan to take a trolley with you for the winter tyres? even if you travel during the summer…

Hi Fred,

Yes I’ve “done” Europe before, and realise its size. Back then we camped and went through France Belgium Luxembourg Switzerland Germany and Austria. We’ve no itinery as such yet, but I’d imagine those destinations will be included, but we’d like to go to Italy as well (where we’ve both spent significant periods of time).

No trolley, but maybe camping will be limited as I don’t think there’s enough room for sleeping bags, tent etc.

Kurt

I’ve owned S1 & S2 Exige. On both occasions I have swapped from an Elise (S1, & 111R respectively). The best impartial advise I can offer is that both you & future Mrs Elise 111S take the time to try both, assuming you haven’t already (I take it you want an S1).

The chances of an early divorce are greater with the S1 than say a touring pack/air-con S2.

HTH.

Go for the S2.Less chance of premature divorce.
Let the relationship mature then trade the S2 for an S1 ( before kids, too)

i did tuscany with my other half in my old S2 and it was just bearable with aircon and all her ‘essentials’, there is no way we could have done it in an S1.

EU roadtrip - I am jealous 8o) - my brother and I were planning to do this at one point before I started a new job but I just didn’t get it sorted in time.

Don’t know if you are considering any track days whilst you are in Europe. If so, I’d recommend Moris http://www.moris.co.uk/ (formerly Everitt Boles) for the trackday insurance - used them when we did Spa in the 111S. My cover with Competition Car Insurance would not cover me for any EU tracking :astonished:(.

Would definitely recommend taking in Spa and the Ring if you get a chance.

Also, be aware of the recent tedious regs. about carrying warning triangles, yellow jackets, spare bulbs etc to avoid getting fined in France etc. You can buy all of this at the EuroTunnel terminal (if you go that way) - prob. cheaper to get it online in the UK.

Interesting. I have the triangle and high vis jacket. What’s this about bulbs ? Is there anything else ?

They had some leaflets at the Eurotunnel services that described what you needed. I ended up getting the triangle + jacket and also the bulbs. I’m fairly certain they could do you for not having a spare bulb if you had a light out in France - didn’t want to take the chance so I spent the cash before getting on the Chunnel. Of course there is the old headlight adjustment for LHD…

What. Are we men or mice? :smiley:

you get them in outdoor stores. The good ones (expensive ones…) are waterproof (dirt-proof :wink: ). And it goes like this: ->clicky<-

And hey, drop me a line as soon as you know the dates you’ll be in Switzerland, I’d be more than happy to show you around :slight_smile:

testdriver,
An great link to your adventures! I’ll be sure to take you up on your offer and will be in touch nearer the time, thank you. It’s Mrs Elise111S 30th today and I’ve sent the link of your trip to her via email.

Chaps, I appreciate the responses, and now am even more determined to make it happen. Please keep any tips coming. Just watching those savings mounting…great!

Kurt

I’ve driven down to Tuscany a couple of times down through Germany/Austria into Italy. The road across the Dolomites to Cortina was a particular high-point. Both times I did it in a BMW M-Coupe (Breadvan) which was perfectly suited to that mini-GT role. Not sure I’d contemplate doing same in an Exige-S1 though tbh unless I was on my own. Sitting in Florence traffic in 40degree heat would have been particularly unpleasant.

One thing to consider is to do the return leg on the train. Nice is only a couple of hours out of Italy into France, you hand over the car, have some lunch and a wander around Nice then sleep away the boring schlep across France in your sleeping apartment on the train. Wake-up in Calais, they drive your car around and you get back on the Chunnel…result!

Well Ive driven from Holland to Italy for Mille Miglia about 12 times, through Germany, Switzerland and back via Lux, France and Belgium.

Not in an Exige but in various old timers including mostly an open top Healey 100-6 with aero screens and no roof at all … and thats great fun when its pouring down, snowing etc - NOT.

However the experience is just, well, you have to do it !

Cool Man!!

[quote=Benja]I’ve driven down to Tuscany a couple of times down through Germany/Austria into Italy. The road across the Dolomites to Cortina was a particular high-point. Both times I did it in a BMW M-Coupe (Breadvan) which was perfectly suited to that mini-GT role. Not sure I’d contemplate doing same in an Exige-S1 though tbh unless I was on my own. Sitting in Florence traffic in 40degree heat would have been particularly unpleasant.

One thing to consider is to do the return leg on the train. Nice is only a couple of hours out of Italy into France, you hand over the car, have some lunch and a wander around Nice then sleep away the boring schlep across France in your sleeping apartment on the train. Wake-up in Calais, they drive your car around and you get back on the Chunnel…result![/quote]

Does anyone have any more information about getting your car to the south of france on the train? I guess its v expensive?

[quote=swilding]
Does anyone have any more information about getting your car to the south of france on the train? I guess its v expensive? [/quote]

Here you go clicky

It’s about �400-�600 each way depending on time of year. Sounds expensive but when you factor in the fuel and probably at least one night in a hotel, meal out etc plus the tedium of driving across France it starts to looks attractive.

[quote=Benja][quote=swilding]
Does anyone have any more information about getting your car to the south of france on the train? I guess its v expensive? [/quote]

Here you go clicky

It’s about �400-�600 each way depending on time of year. Sounds expensive but when you factor in the fuel and probably at least one night in a hotel, meal out etc plus the tedium of driving across France it starts to looks attractive. [/quote]

Excellent. Thanks for that. I was considering a trip towards the end of July, and this makes it even more attractive.

Got back from hooning 2500 miles round France & back about 3 weeks ago in the Exige S. A absolute blast & very practical. I’ve done lots of trips to Europe in porkers, S2000’s & the Exige was the most comfortable to drive by far. Luggage was fine using a soft bag in the boot.

Ed

good for you – andy the missus that you are going to have a play…

The furthest I have taken my s1 exige with “air conditeioning” is the ring on 3 occassions. Twice I made the mistake of going when the temperature was over 25C. It gets very warm in an S1 after a couple of hours and wifey patience might get shortened.

dont want to put you off, but just be aware…

apart from that it’ll be great. Locals will love you and the car will love you.

dont forget to post your progress…