Supercharging S2

Because they would fit it on before the engine etc goes into the car… where as to put a kit on after, the engine would have to come out�re-tune, etc. More labour cost.

I was thinking along the same lines but I think the hit taken from selling a car after a year may cancel out the benefits.

Ozzer

don’t think that’s how it works… IDG will correct but i think even the 240R comes off the production line as a fully complete exige and then gets the effected parts stripped out and replaced/upgraded at the MOtorsprts division.

That’s how I understand it’s done. The reason is something like it then being a modified car rather than having to jump through a load of production car loops.

Ian

Thats exactly how they were producing the Audirs6 when I visited Quattro gmbh a couple of years ago. I was quite surprised to see them rippng the cars apart that they had just put toghether. It was aparently cheaper to do it that way. They were also kitting out the big A6/8 with serious luxury in the same way for customers personal requests (very nice).

I still think they could have made far more than 50 cars for a worldwide market (and sell them all)especially when you seeing tham trying to push the brand further than our uk shores.

In regards to people just buying a normal exige and sending it for modding themselves, then yes, im sure if the will is there then they can do it that way. I would say though that alot of people these days just want something straight out of the box and wil pay for it like that. Even if it’s only for the fact that they haven’t got to go through the insurance nightmare declaring and detailing all the mods they have done over and above the original car. The 240r is a 240r.

So if it cost 7k add that on to your average Exige leaving the factory (say add ac and touring/p pack) 33k + 7K thats mighty close to the 240 price.
The 240 starts to look like a bargin when you include the Ohilns and other goodies…

Yep, thats what happens but the only car that Lotus sport will retro fit the SC in is the Exige cup car.
An Exige cup will cost over 40k plus the SC
I phoned all the dealers and Lotus sport for a 240R months ago but all cars had sold in four hours, dealers had a long list of people just in case someone canceled.

Well if it�s too expensive we will all be going to Switzerland on holiday

Who’s going to organise an Exige run to Bemani Switzerland!?

No, no Lotus next year is likly to give in and do the kit on any Exige
The word is it will be mid summer '07.

I am with Ozzer on this one Swizerland here we come, think they will do a group buy?
PS how many Toblerones do the charge for the kit?

So if it cost 7k add that on to your average Exige leaving the factory (say add ac and touring/p pack) 33k + 7K thats mighty close to the 240 price.
The 240 starts to look like a bargin when you include the Ohilns and other goodies…

So maybe that’s why Lotus limited to a run of 50 cars - it is enough to drum up interest and alot of press…selling the components at a later date with a phased release will make it more money.

So maybe that’s why Lotus limited to a run of 50 cars - it is enough to drum up interest and alot of press…selling the components at a later date with a phased release will make it more money.

As a 240R owner (well, at this point waiting for it) and having been to the factory and had it all explained, I can add the following:

The 240R indeed starts life as a fully completed Exige S2. before it can be converted to a 240R it has to be registered by it’s prospective owner (so insured, taxed etc.). This is because the car is sold as a “post registration conversion”, this avoids certain emission (I believe) and other regulations. It also has a limit of 50 cars per type (again, I believe, not sure if this is “per type” or “per year” but am fairly certain it’s “per type”).

For these reasons I don’t see how Lotus will be able to offer an S2 S/C car “off the line”, however an “upgrade” s/c kit would be ok…buy your car, register it, then let MS division fit the S/C.
However this will have to be done after the car is complete and so therefore will not be cheap I wouldn’t think due to the fact they will then have to dismantle the car again to fit it all (I’ve seen what they have to do to a 240R)

Just my 2p with what I know for fact

Oh and the Bemani kit (Swiss option much vaunted) is �7500 and doesn’t (as far as I know) include and accusump, twin oil coolers, Ohlins etc etc