Stutters at 5000rpm?

Simple, take it back to Storm !!!

quote:Originally posted by stevegreen:Russ - no it was impossible to rev through it…seemed much worse than when hitting rev limiter - I did think of your problem, will leave the car on trickle charge for a week and try it next weekend…hoping it might just go away on its own!Well got around to having a look at this and thought I’d investigate the the ECU wheel speed sensor on the rear offside. Having taken the connector attached to wishbone apart I found one of the 3 pins to be heavily verdigris’d (both had turned green).I assume that its down to water ingress as there does not appear to be any form of rubber boot to keep it dry - can anyone check theirs and see if its the same, ie, no boot as Im sure there used to be one?So after some careful cleaning and a squirt of WD40 it was put back together and given a run. Surprise, surprise no stutter…so thats saved me the cost of a new coil!!!Just as Russ found out - it pays to check the simple things first.

Steve,Mine has a rubber sealing ring, although the sensor its not now used on the Emerald, did’nt you have yours disconnected for the overrun “pops and bangs”?

Philmine seemed to pop and bang enough without disconnecting it so it never was. There is no evidence of a rubber sealing ring either…

well mine turned out to be the speed sensor, they fixed this along with doing an ecu update. aparently when i spoke to lotus technical they inform me that the stutter is the car running on two cylinders and running the car like this is very very bad for the engine, you probably all know this already however.what is the rev limiter set at on other peoples cars mine goes all the way up to 8000 on the stack and is a standard 177bhp car, is this correct i havnt tried to take it any further for fear of the unknown.giles

Giles - are you saying that the tacho reads 8k revs and the rev limiter does not cut in - I have the 190 upgrade and I certanly know hat the rev limiter cuts in before it hits 8k?

yes this is correct, i have just been on one of my long purposeless (except for my enjoyment) evening drives and the stack is reading 7900 and still no rev limiter i really dare not try any more, ok i will have to admit that the stack gets around very fast and it is hard to see but i have got it this far round and no limiter i am really worried. although the stutter has gone which is a good thing, isnt it…storm did the ecu update for me apparently when they fixed the speed sensor, by the way where is the sensor located, (for future repairs) [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/confused.gif[/image]