Stripped 3rd gear!

Yep that’s right…the gearbox has finally given up!

Was just on my way to have set of kumhos fitted - started accelerating up a dual carriageway slip road, and there was a bit of a pop followed by what sounds like a bag of bolts being emptied into the gearbox. The car is driveable - I’m just waiting for the tyres to be swapped, but no drive in 3rd as you expect. The rattling noise would make anyone cringe too!

I’m not too bothered, I guess we have to expect it with 300 horses - Just need to decide what to do next…suggestions welocome.

Remove the supercharger lol…that’s bad tast isn’t it :smiley:

Kidding, bad news :wink: …call JSR. They’ve just done Ade’s. Mines in as well at the moment having a Kaaz gear set fitted, not for you obviously, but the Jabawocky gear set seems the way to go along with cooling. Check out Sector 111. Good luck

Lol I guess removing the supercharger would sort the problem.

The jubu gearset does seem the simple solution, just not convinced its the way to go… Will start looking at gearbox swaps in more detail, but I still don’t believe the audi box has the correct ratios - well I can’t find one that does anyway.

I may start taking gearbox off tomorrow - Anyone know if the gearbox will be trashed with 3rd gear letting go? I’ve got an lsd in mine which I would also want to salvage.

If you have continued driving it after the initial failure then there’s a strong chance of complete failure. You may be lucky if the magnet has caught the main pieces, depends on the failure mode.

What have others found when opening the box, is it the synchro that fails or the helical teeth?

oh dear sorry to hear this mate. hope all gets sorted and you find a solution

Mine went also recently. Just got it back from Sincs yesterday with Jubu Racing 3rd and 4th, reapaired all other bent parts and fitted an oil cooler, pump and better oil. probably as good as it gets untill a proper solution is found.

Mine went on teh side of a mountain in Italy so had to drive it to nearest civilisation.

Was still reapirable.

Hope you get yours fixed soon.

Ex77

Which oil cooler / pump has Sincs installed?
Do you have some pics maybe?
I’m thinking of a similar solution but I’m afraid of fire as the exhaust is quite close…

Is anyone running more than 300BHP using a Jubu gearset on a Tackday/road going Exige if so have they had any issues?I’m thinking of upgrading to a stage 2 Bemani kit which runs about 325 bhp and 225 lbs ft torque.Im in no rush and really want the most reliable gear box solution.

Ade has and he has been doing trackdays.

Sorry to hear about the failure mate, it really does seem 300 just makes the gearbox into a time bomb. Have you done many track days with it?
I do start to worry about mine running 270 but I guess failures will only happen with lots of track use on my sort of out put.

Boothy

Cheers for the positive comments guys. Not had a good day, got home and realised the garge has fitted ku31 on the front and kh31 on the rear. Its the garages fault and they are sorting it, but still annoying!

I’ll start pricing up my options tomorrow, but I’m thinking about changing to a different gearbox…

Yeah, the car has been tracked quite a bit. The spec is similar to ades - both car were dyno’d back to back and were within a few bhp of each. Around 295-320bhp depending on which dyno you believe.

I was only at around 5k rpm in 3rd when the box went. I’d just dropped the down a gear and only just started to accelerate, it not like I was redlining the car as I only popped down the road. Also pretty cold morning, so wouldn’t have reached anywhere near the temperatures that are reached on track.

Don’t walk under any ladders.Be watching your choice of solution with interest

It’s better to get it all over in one day. :frowning: I hope you can get an improved solution for the box.

It would be interesting to know when you strip it what has actually failed in order to understand the weak point in the Toyota box. I know it’s commonly the 3rd speed but there could be a few different symptoms leading to different solutions. Helical teeth sheared off, synchro teeth failed or bearings/journals seized.

The Jubu gears are a significant upgrade on the standard. Have a look at the pictures on this thread.

Std vs Kaz vs Jubu

I believe that the thickest and chunckiest is the Jubu.

I had my box upgraded with 3rd, 4th and final drive. Final drive is noisy as its straight cut, but believe Jubu now have a semi helical final drive as well.

Hangar111 have now done several cars so would suggest that if you want to go down the Jubu route you should give them a call as well.

Have hanger had problems with the Komotec cars hence having to fit the Jubu’s? The Komo is right on the edge of the std gearbox the if the Jubu’s have solved problems there it must be looking quite good for them.

Boothy

Sorry to hear about your gearbox, you may want to look here, if they are still for sale ?
Jubu uprated 3rd 4th

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/31499/Jubu_Racing_Gearset_for_2ZZC64_box.html

Standard 190 engine does 133lb/ft and with a high tuned 2ZZ you’ve got 165lb/ft from 3k rpm up to 200lb/ft around 6k rpm. So even when your crusing at 3,4 or 5k rpm its still putting through decent load on the gearbox.

How much is the total cost to fit Jubu uprated 3rd & 4th + oil cooler? �1500?

[quote=pendy]Sorry to hear about your gearbox, you may want to look here, if they are still for sale ?
Jubu uprated 3rd 4th

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/31499/Jubu_Racing_Gearset_for_2ZZC64_box.html [/quote]

Thanks, I also saw that yesterday.

I know the jubus are suppose to be rated to 295ftlb of torque, but does anyone know of they will reliable?

My exige is around 300bhp / 200ftlb, be nice if I coud push this to around 360bhp/240ftlb and not be on the limit of the gears…

The Jubu do look far more robust!