Steering Rack

Hi folks -Just a quickie, does anyone know whether our rack is a different ratio than the Elise ?CheersRT

Hi RussI read somewhere(possibly on the Lotus website) that the Exige has a “quick rack”. The brochure quotes “Steering - Rack & Pinion, Ratio 15.8:1, 2.3 turns lock to lock”.PS I’ll show you my new anorak tomorrow at the Wrights Arms [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]PPS Don’t forget the �5 bull**** fee you owe me [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image] [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]

But that is actually the standard Elise’s ratio from lock to lock… 2,3 turns. I think it depends a bit on the size of the front-wheels. It seems to me, the Elise on 185er 15" alloys turns in slightly more than the Exige on 195er 16". But using the same ratio.

Cheers guys,It is just that I have a new “high ratio” pinion, which I did not fit to the Elise, and I always reckon you cannot have quick enough steering,(especially when sideways at Anglesey) :wink:.Pesky - OK if I pay you in shandy tonight ?

My Rack is knackered… It is currently in at the dealers being replaced!!!

quote:Originally posted by B7SHY:My Rack is knackered… It is currently in at the dealers being replaced!!!Eh ? How did that happen ?It’s not like you’ve given it much more than medium road use.

God knows how it happened… I just had a terrible rattle from the front when going over bumps… thought it was the bushes… (Kings noticed it while it was in to have the engine mapped) but it was the rack! Got it back on Monday and seems fine now.You are right though Dave, I have not done anything excessive in my Exige (YET!!).Have now got the Supersport Exhaust… WOW! What a tame (quiet) little pussycat the Exige was before I had it fitted… It must have been so embarrassing! Now its sounds the dogs!Tim

quote:Originally posted by B7SHY:Have now got the Supersport Exhaust… WOW! What a tame (quiet) little pussycat the Exige was before I had it fitted… It must have been so embarrassing! Now its sounds the dogs!The SuperSports exhaust is almost a mandatory requirement in my opinion. As you say, it sounds pants without.

too noisy for our coppers and dead ugly as well… erm… what’s the point when you don’t even get allowed on some tracks (98 db…) I thought of having a competition silencer kit but with cat. Lotus are doing one of 'em for SPECIAL countries… he-he…

Bruno:Can you elaborate on your comment: “Lotus are doing one of 'em for SPECIAL countries” What else do you know about this?SJP

I’m not a huge fan of the look of the SS Exhaust… but believe me… The sound is WELL worth it!!(It also seems quicker on accelarating when you ‘boot it’!)

quote:Originally posted by B7SHY:I’m not a huge fan of the look of the SS Exhaust… but believe me… The sound is WELL worth it!!(It also seems quicker on accelarating when you ‘boot it’!)Don’t forget that if you REALLY don’t like the tail pipe, you can change it for an original twin-pipe look. It’s only held on with a jubilee clip.

quote:Originally posted by NAL190S:Bruno:Can you elaborate on your comment: “Lotus are doing one of 'em for SPECIAL countries” What else do you know about this?SJP gosh, why is this poxy server so slowly??david, what have you done???right, the sport silencer with cat pipe. I have got this info from a lotus mechanic. I want to fit one. the problem is that you can really smell if a cat is mounted or not. so, our beloved coppers will instantly know when you are running one without. so, there is no other option than having one with. I will investigate and let you know later on 'cause as I said, it’s the only option for me. I don’t want to risk it and the super sport boys haven’t answered my comments about it being too loud even for some track days…DAVID, your turn now…

There was/is a Motorsport cat pipe but it was @�700 - that can always be fitted with the Motorsport exhaust?

yeah, that is probably the one he is talking about. as I said. will investigate and let you know… have to go to work with me exige… looking forward to it… he-he… something new… how a car can change live…

I used to have the sports exhaust and cat replacement pipe fitted to my Elise, it doesn’t pass the MOT but I never got pulled over by the police for it!The only problem with the Exige Supersports exhaust etc. will probably be noise, which the police will pull you over for!

quote:Originally posted by Bruno: gosh, why is this poxy server so slowly??david, what have you done???It’s not the server, no-one else has the problem, it’s the fact that you live in a poxy 2-bit country that can’t manage a decent connection [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image] (I know, I lived in Neuchatel for four years !)What other country will send you to the psychiatrist if you fail your driving test 3 times !As for noise levels… I’ve only been to Donington and had no problems there (and other cars were being pulled over for being too loud)At Donington, they just have drive-by measurements and don’t measure each car individually.A tip: When being asked to give a individual sound sample, tell them that your red-line is 7000rpm (and not 8000) They will ask you to hold the car at three-quarters of the 7000rpm rather than 8000. That can make all the difference.

nice one, david…it’s working all right again. probably too much water coming down and guess where it is all coming from AGAIN???cheers, mates… by the way, the psychiatrist thingy is quite all right. let’s face it. if you don’t pass the third time, they should really lock you up. I mean, there are too many idiots dreaming along on our roads, just blocking the way and all that… take it from an old biker…

No matter that you tell them is max revs can’t you just hold it at say 5k revs and tell them “thats your lot”!