Stalling

I undestand there’s a common problem with the engine stalling, and that the fix is a new ECU map, and adjusting the throttle for a higher idle speed.
Is that right? Any more to add to that?
I had a problem with the engine nearly stalling. Usually when I’m going into reverse. After any use of the throttle, the revs would drop to around 400rpm, almost stalling, and then it would catch itself, and return to a good steady idle @700rpm ish.

I got Nick Whale’s to check it out, and if anything the problem got slightly worse. Now it would actually stall sometimes.

I had them adjust the throttle again, now it idles at about 900rpm, but sometimes it still comes very close to stalling at about 400rpm.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

They swapped the K series from your old (& better) car, whilst you weren’t looking (or were at the salon).

Do mark 2’s have an IACV

Good question

Brendan,

It is a common problem & AFAIK the ECU needs a re-flash as you’ve thought.

Mine was done following the engine re-build ( ) due a broken valve spring. Symptoms were actually similar. Yours will hopefully be just the re-flash though.
Suprising NW’s didn’t just sort the fix there & then.

Tim.

I undestand there’s a common problem with the engine stalling, and that the fix is a new ECU map, and adjusting the throttle for a higher idle speed.

Brendan
I had the same prob Sept 04 S2, LRV (Lotus tech was onsite that day) remapped the ECU and adjusted the throttle body’s. But I’m pretty sure it didn’t result in a higher idle speed. Not that it matters I suppose but it did the trick.
John

Update: The engine stalled twice last night as I was reversing into the garage

Nick Whale’s said it already had the latest map…

Mine has never stalled…(Touch wood ). It feels and sounds lumpy when first started up like it might stall but never has. When it gets warmed up it is fine from then on.

Mine used to do that, so I asked them to update the ECU at the first service, hasn’t been a problem since.

It doesn’t change the idle speed at all, just stops the revs dropping too low when you take your foot off the accelerator, it was v. embarrassing!!

Well, after all my previous comments on the lack of personal experience of this problem, it only went & stalled this morning

I was reverse parking in town on a not quite up to operating temp engine, which I suspect has nothing to do with it. Brendan, was your problem reversing into the garage with a cold or hot engine?

Tim.

Tim, I never had a problem with a cold engine (raised idle speed when cold).

It sometimes stalled when fully warm, but seemed worse when just a bit warm, say 70C.

Nick Whale’s have had another go (third time!), and so far it seems good. The revs still drop for a moment, but only to 600rpm which seems OK.

I think the fix is just an adjustment to the throttle stop.

I think the fix is just an adjustment to the throttle stop.

Brendan,

I think i’ll have to try that then…except the dealer’s 120 miles away so i’ll need at least one more problem before i head off . Thanks.

Tim.

Arse. The feckin’ thing stalled twice last night as I was manouvering around a petrol station

This may sound daft, but old MR2 mk1s did a similar thing when hot, sometimes when you let the revs fall too quickly they just carried on all the way to zero!
The ECU didn’t just depend on a vacuum for idle advance I think it used electrical load too, as you could switch on the lights or even the interior fan and the revs would rise.