Squeaking

I picked up my new Exige on Thursday, and it’s fantastic. No real problems so far, but it does make a rather loud, high pitched squeaking noise occasionally, when I go over large bumps in the road. I can’t figure out where it’s coming from, but I think it’s at the front somewhere. Any ideas what it might be?

…Could it be the infamous “yip”?! You’re lucky you don’t have the “crack” [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image]

Thank god, you don’t have the terrible brrrrrm! [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]

I complained to Lotus about the “yip” sound I got from large bumps/dips and was given a "They all do that"Not THAT reassuring, but not much else I can do about it…

yip confirmed by Lotus engineer as being due to tyres making slight contact with wheel liner - nothing can be done about it!

…SO, to set the record straight then - EVERY Exige should have a Yip & a Crack - if not, then you should book it in at your nearest dealer to have it seen to.

quote:Originally posted by stevegreen:yip confirmed by Lotus engineer as being due to tyres making slight contact with wheel liner - nothing can be done about it!Hell, I wouldn’t be too happy with that explanation. What would happen if the tyre made more than a “slight contact” with the liner ? bye-bye liner ?

Thanks for the response guys. It’s reassuring to know it’s normal, but now I’ve got another worry. Why haven’t I got a crack, and how can I go about getting one. Hang on, that sounds a bit rude [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]

david…don’t tell me you dont have the yip…its going to be part of Exige folklore in years to come…Im sure it will decrease residuals if you dont have one…it doesn’t mean you are running on underinflated tyres does it?

hehe, mine has the “yip” alright, I just wouldn’t be content thinking “oh, it’s only a sticky rubber thing spinning at high speed against the inside of your car…”

I’m not so convinced any more, I went out for a run this evening (I’m tring to get it run in quickly so I can give it a good thrashing), and I was getting my ‘yip’ on reasonably smooth roads. Well a bit bumpy, but I can’t believe the tyres are hitting the wheel arch liners at 60mph on a dual carriageway. Could it be something else?

If it were tyre against liner, I would expect more of a “burring” sound, not a "yip"To me, it sounds like a dry damper, or bush.

Could be a bush up your crack even.

gosh, I’m so glad that I’ve got the “yip” as well… wouldn’t have been the same without, would it… he-he…

I’ll just have to get it checked out when it goes in for its first service. I’ll let you all know the result when I get one.Hmmm, a bush up my crack… Surely not again?

Well, the chaps at Nick Whale had a go at fixing my squeak. They thought it was the anti roll bar mountings. They were wrong. I found the problem when I was washing the car yesterday. The front ‘bonnet’ was rubbing on the clam shell. How’s that for Lotus build quality. EVERY moving panel (doors, engine cover and bonnet) was rubbing on the body panels. At least the bonnet is easy to adjust.They can fix the engine cover problem when it goes in to have the oil leak fixed [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/mad.gif[/image]

Had a good one the other day - the “tailgate” wouldn’t shut - traced it back to the cable release handle - the cable was bent just behind the handle, so it wouldn’t recede into the bodywork, so the tailgate wouldn’t shut. Cunning design, eh? Think it was caused by the door accidentally swinging shut while the boot was open…

That’s right “Hythe”, now I always check and push the handle back in, as soon as I’ve opened the hatch.

BrendanIt is’nt the oil cooler “elbow”, by any chance is it? Mine went last week, repaired quickly & efficiently by LRV. My concern is that if this goes again, out of the warranty period, you are stuffed. I saved an Esprit engine once, as I had an oil pressure gauge - I am thinking this would be a good idea on the Exige.RT

Hi Russ,No, its the cam cover. There’s a round hole on the side near the oil filler cap. It’s dripping out of that.Where’s the oil cooler elbow when it’s at home?