Springs advice

I just fitted my car with nitron 2-ways and new springs. I went for 425 lbs/in springs front and 500 rear. That sounded reasoable after talking to racing friends and reading on the 'net.

This was a fantastic upgrade from the old original stuff, but unfortunately the car understeers like mad. I do get faster lap times than before but it is a struggle fighting the understeer and spinning rear wheels from softening the roll bar.

Now I could soften the front ones to like 375 or stiffen up the rear to a wild 525 or 550. If it starts oversteering there is always the possibility to add a stiffer anti roll bar.

hmm…

I’d get my geo checked, if I were you Also, set the ARB to the middle position.

I’d get my geo checked, if I were you Also, set the ARB to the middle position.

You might be right. The geo was perfectly set up before with the old dampers, I worked really hard to get that right.

Since the car is slightly lower than before the geo has ofc changed a bit.

The springs should be reasonable, so I’ll try to fix the geo and other settings before getting other springs.

I just fitted my car with nitron 2-ways and new springs…

Slightly obvious question but are the settings on the dampers what they should be?

Slightly obvious question but are the settings on the dampers what they should be?

What should they be ?

I started the day with 7 clicks from hardest all around, compression and rebound. But since there was problems with under steer I did soften up the front (both ways) and stiffened the rear. It was a 6 hour open-pit track day so I did have quite a lot of time to to try different settings.
The under steer was worst at corner entry and got a bit better in static cornering, but still bad.
It is quite possible that my toe or camber was very wrong at the moment.
I’ll visit the garage tomorrow and measure the geo, hopefully that will give some answers.

Last year when I worked on the geo I came to realize that very small changes do have very big impact on how the car behaves. Having the right toe and camber is very critical.

What should they be ?

No worries, was just my roundabout way of getting at whether you’d set them at all!

Geo seems to be alright with my laser/string/ruler method. Toe is 2mm total out up front and a few mm in on the back, same as before. Camber is more or less maxed all around with 2 degree front and some more in the back. Same that used to work good before with my toyo 888s.

The ride height is a tad high and I can not lower it below around 120mm in the front before the springs are getting loose. 7" springs. Obviously 7" springs this hard does not not allow the car to be lowered properly without getting loose at full droop using these nitron dampers.

I bought some 400lbs/in springs for the front and helper springs all around to keep the springs in place. On monday we will see the results, another full trackday :stuck_out_tongue: