Some laps at Sandown ( Melbourne) in Exige Auto

eauto - YouTube

Blip on the upshifts is nice

Andy what are the shifts like on track?

The downshifts happen as soon as you pull the paddle and are very smooth, the blip is matched to the road speed so it’s always without any jerk and no chance of locking up the rear. Really liked that coming into the 90 degree 2nd gear corners.

Up shifts are different, still feels like too much lag you can see I hit the limiter a few times as I’m pulling on the paddle just at max revs and then it’s too late. Part of that is that I’m used to more revs and forgetting this only revs to 7k !
When you time it right it feels good, but you have to be a little ahead as it’s not happening instant and the rev tell tale lights are useless !

This was my first time on track and it took a few laps to get used to it but considering the stories of how slow the changes were I was really surprised and enjoying myself.
Standard brakes and suspension felt good, I expected to be slightly disappointed but came away impressed.

I then drove home in full auto … A real Jeckell and Hyde car …

Yea shifts into the next gear are click, wait…, slur into next gear. I’m sure over time they can improve the torque converter lockup rate.

I think the wait would be OK if it slammed the gear home a bit quicker. There is a lag on my C63 but it’s a pretty whip crack change with associated pop from the back.

Looking good Andy looks like a decent circuit too.

I’ve always thought autos were a bit of an anathema; the sole preserve of old blokes. I recently had a hire car for a couple of weeks and whilst the car was shite, having an auto for day-to-day does work well. Maybe I’ve been wrong all this time,…or I’m becoming an old bloke,…or both :smiley:

Thinking about it, aspiring to have a manual transmission will increasingly mark you out as being of a particular generation…

DSG gearboxes are so good now on the road, you really don’t want a manual anymore, they are the best of both manual and automatic. Downside is the extra weight for a track car, the Audi boxes are very heavy to say the least :frowning:

See im not for flappy paddles, no matter how good the change is. Give me a stick to change gear with anyday of the week. There is some skill involved in changing gear manually, takes all the challenge out of getting it smooth and precise with a ecu controlling it from pushing a button.