Soft top

Just about to change my Caterham R300 for an Exige 2 - can the Elise soft top be fitted on the Exige???

Yes, it can (although apparently it could cause warranty issues). Try a search for pictorial evidence.

However, I should warn you that a few of us ARE ANAL ENOUGH TO BE OFFENDED BY THE THOUGHT, and really hate the idea! An Exige should have a roof!

Ian

ps. Cue abuse/teasing for me

Just about to change my Caterham R300 for an Exige 2 - can the Elise soft top be fitted on the Exige???

As Ian said, it can, it’ll only look ugly

Why not try an Elise 111R instead?

Some pictures of it here:

http://www.kumschick.com/lotus/exige/bilder/

SINNER!

The guy who runs that site posted the link on MLOC the other day as the very same question came up, only reason I know honest guv

In answer to the original question, yes it can very easily. The hardtop fittings are identical to the Elise. My exige arrives this week and I have a soft top ready and waiting . Roof on for track days though. Personally I think the Exige looks good roofless, although admittedly better roof on. Don’t listen to anyone who tells you taking the roof off invalidates the warranty - complete tosh from the marketing types at Lotus, and how would your dealer know anyway?

Mark

…Don’t listen to anyone who tells you taking the roof off invalidates the warranty - complete tosh from the marketing types at Lotus,…

My guess is that it was just an effort to enforce good taste…

Also wondering if there will be an issue with insurence as the car is sold and insured as a coupe.

Insurence companys will do anything to get out of paying !!

Also wondering if there will be an issue with insurence as the car is sold and insured as a coupe.

I sincerely hope that there is!

Hello Neil,

As it’s your money you’re spending matey, if you want to take the roof off, you should jolly well go for it. As its also going to cause offence, that makes having a soft top Exige even more appealing

There’s always the argument that removing the Exige S2 roof actually improves the airflow to the engine compartment

Does anyone know why Lotus decided to block the intake?

It’s not blocked on all S2s. The 240R uses the roof vent to feed the cooler for the supercharger.

Why would you want more air in the engine bay? It’s already completely open back there! And think of all that extra drag overloading the engine, a nasty nasty business.

Ian

The plastic grill effect thingy is the only thing stopping the airflow to the engine bay on the S2. Once that is removed it’s open all the way through.
John

According to my dealer the vent is closed for two reasons:

1. It is not necessary due to the open nature of the engine bay
  2. Water entering the vent can collect where the roof meets the body and weep through to the interior.
    Seems good enough for me.

Sounds like classic Lotus to me. Design something in that has an unwanted emergent property and then design it out again!

At least they tried to stop leaks in the S2!

Ian