So why wont they put out the S/C ?

Seems like a while (sorry if I missed it) since we got an update on Lotus possibly releasing an S/C for N/A Exiges, yep I know there are 3rd party units coming online but still - a factory unit is preferable in most cases.

So anyone know the current excuse? - is it simply that they expect us to trade up to one of the S/C models or still saying that the unit can not be feasibly retro-fitted ?

I was inches away from selling my Exige last week but I pulled back at the last minute once I had another think about the car and the fun I’ve had with it - but the longer I try and think for a rationale for not putting out the S/C the less love I can muster for Lotus. Hey, it’s a business, they want to maximise profit I know, but ffs, have money in pocket, ready to spend, do the right thing and don’t expect me to take a bath on an part-ex please.

Apologies, long day, bad commute, no S/C

I am really starting to wonder if Lotus are going to bother putting out an SC kit - does seem strange as there is so clearly a demand for it. I suspect the problem is that it would be too expensive to sell well. There would be lots of takers, me included, if it was say 4k ish, but at the rumoured 8k it is way too pricey. Also having driven a 240R, I didn’t think it felt quite as much of a performance hike over the standard car as I was expecting, although that was on a soaking wet track with a rather nervous Lotus bod in the passenger seat so perhaps not the best time to form a judgement

Mark

I think Lotus will keep the sc for the S3 which is bound to be heavier and need the extra poke for sportier models

I was inches away from selling my Exige last week but I pulled back at the last minute once I had another think about the car and the fun I’ve had with it

I would only consider selling if I had another car lined up - did you have any thoughts on this?

On the point about the s/c, the Motorsport Division are said to be able to do anything for a customer - witness the high end output of the GT car and probably a few unknown variants inbetween - why don’t you ring them and see what they say?

I think Lotus will keep the sc for the S3 which is bound to be heavier and need the extra poke for sportier models

Anyone heard the rumour that a new Exige model, to be released this year, would be fitted with the SC as standard. 220HP though and without the 240R/Cup 240 goodies. not a limited run and about �40K
Also a new base Elise, very basic/light spec & cheaper (~20K) No details on engine supplier, but 100-120bhp.

If Lotus offered a SC kit for existing owners would they make more money than if they brought out a new car with a SC and forced people to buy that instead.

I think it’s just Lotus protecting new car sales by giving them a USP.

Dealers would make the money. If the cars weren’t selling they’d release the SC to keep the dealers afloat/happy.

Ian

Anyone heard the rumour that a new Exige model, to be released this year, would be fitted with the SC as standard. 220HP though and without the 240R/Cup 240 goodies. not a limited run and about �40K

Not head that but it would make sense as they could use the off the shelf 220hp engine from the supercharged Corolla. Now that the 06 option packs allow you to order an Elise which is mechanically identical to the Exige, you would think that Lotus would want to do something to distinguish the Exige as the ‘hardcore’ model. Still think it needs to be less than 4k premium over the N/A car though - just like the VX 220 Turbo was compared to the boggo VX.

Mark

Heard the basic Elise bit…Ithink it was in this weeks Autocar or was it EVO…Lotus are looking into a basic Elise type car to do battle with the MX5…this car would probably be build out of the country to keep costs down, as a 20k price would mean massive cost cutting…also the Esprit shape has been finaly signed off for a 2008 launch.

Great. Hope it doesn’t look anything like the crap Europa then.

If Lotus … forced people to buy that instead.

Quality!

I was inches away from selling my Exige last week but I pulled back at the last minute once I had another think about the car and the fun I’ve had with it

I would only consider selling if I had another car lined up - did you have any thoughts on this?

Not the exact model yet, but I know what characteristics I want/don’t want. I’ve just bought my wife an S4 and I love the huge grunt, for a while I’ve been thinking “I’m not a race driver, it’s gonna get dangerous if I’m forever pushing for that extra speed through the turns - I’d rather have big, safe, fun” - so I think something big, rear wheel drive and with silly power is the way to go on track - perhaps the new Dodge Charger/Challenger stripped and ripped.

For the road I don’t do huge miles and so want something with real character - thinking of buying back my old classic 911, or an old lambo. The kind of car you can sit in while still in your garage after a hard days work - soak up the smells, the history, the class and then cruise around at 4am doing 50mph with the window down, pretending to be Steve McQueen

On the other hand I’ve spent lots tarting the Exige up with electronics which I’d lose if I sold…and it is pretty…and fun when you go banzai…and now I’m back to square one

I’ve spent lots tarting the Exige up with electronics

What exactly have you done?

top of the range Sat/Nav/DVD/In Dash Screen - connected to abs speed pulse
Front and rear cameras, wired into the ignition, all cables routed through the body/chassis
switch box so I can select front/rear view
output to screen and to Sony digi-cam mounted in footwell

last steps were to link up a race-tech datalogger, data on video unit, PiP unit and finally a solid state mpg2 recorder. cabling is ready to go just waiting for racetech to make a change to one of thier units that I’ve asked for.

• reverie carbon bits

Why the datalogger, & what does it log?

… i think you know this ?? …

data

top of the range Sat/Nav/DVD/In Dash Screen - connected to abs speed pulse

Why does it need connecting to the abs speed pulse? Doesn’t it obtain speed data from the GPS signal?

Front and rear cameras, wired into the ignition, all cables routed through the body/chassis
switch box so I can select front/rear view
output to screen and to Sony digi-cam mounted in footwell

last steps were to link up a race-tech datalogger, data on video unit, PiP unit and finally a solid state mpg2 recorder. cabling is ready to go just waiting for racetech to make a change to one of thier units that I’ve asked for.

Sounds a good system - any further details or photos?

… i think you know this ?? …

data

Just wondering what he regularly logs, & why Umbongo feels the need for one in his car.

I thought he was saying that the data on video unit meant it could display text (say G pulled) from the Datalogic on the video. Which would be kinda neat I guess.

Ian

I thought he was saying that the data on video unit meant it could display text (say G pulled) from the Datalogic on the video. Which would be kinda neat I guess.

Ian

exactly - I certainly don’t “need” datalogging anymore that I “need” a two seat sports car. Some people spend money on suspension, LSD etc I just decided to go a difft way (being a geek and all). I was going to start with steering, brake pedal, revs to start with (on top of the standard G, speed etc) and then extend later. I don’t have the logger in there yet - the Race Technology video overlay unit has one flaw in it’s current design - it doesn’t do pass through video when the unit is powered off, it cuts the signal completely and I’d like to be able to switch in and out whichever unit I want.

Steve- some of the high end ones need a speed pulse as well as the GPS - I didn’t know this until the install was underway. Mine has a couple of accelerometers in there which with the speed pulse allows it to keep track of you even when it looses GPS - built up areas or on startup before it gets lock etc - and to be honest it works great compared to the GPS in my Audi. In the Exige there is no speed pulse coming into the speedo, it has to come from the ABS unit.

I did post up some photos a while back but I took them down - I’ll try and find some space on my photobox account and put them back up.