Smells of Petrol ....

First of all, hello everyone!Just got myself a ‘beautiful’ Exige from the lovely people at Haydon Lotus in Salisbury (same people who sold me an Elise mkI a long, long time ago).Took it for its first long drives, first to London, then down to Cornwall.During the drives, especially in traffic there was a very strong smell of petrol, so strong infact I couldn’t do the drive without keeping the window open … and I still finished the drive with a splitting, fume induced, headache.Am I being a ‘soft SUV driving wimp’ or do I have a problem and need to see the boys down in Salisbury?Opinions please…

quote:Originally posted by sportbilly:First of all, hello everyone!Just got myself a ‘beautiful’ Exige from the lovely people at Haydon Lotus in Salisbury (same people who sold me an Elise mkI a long, long time ago).Took it for its first long drives, first to London, then down to Cornwall.During the drives, especially in traffic there was a very strong smell of petrol, so strong infact I couldn’t do the drive without keeping the window open … and I still finished the drive with a splitting, fume induced, headache.Am I being a ‘soft SUV driving wimp’ or do I have a problem and need to see the boys down in Salisbury?Opinions please…Exiges do run quite rich, and in traffic, mine has always hummed quite alot. It never got to headahe levels though.If it is really strong, I seem to remember in my Elise days there was an issue with a fuel line that had a tendancy to split. May have fixed this on the Exige though. Since getting an Emerald ECU fitted, the smell has very much declined.

The problem could be the same I had and thats the breather pipe on the filler neck cracks - it was subject to a recall but I guess some dealers “forgot” - You can check yourself but its not easy to access that area - just put your hand in and feel around the pipes - or get your dealer to check.