Slver iExige S1 - 30Kmiles - VHPD - An improved original

The time has come for me to part with my S1 Exige.

I like to think of it as an original with the improvements that enhance the car but retain the original character.

I bought the car in 2005 from Dick Lovett Lotus. At that time, it had done 26000 miles. In the last 13 years, I have added just over 4000miles!

During my ownership, the car has always had a valid MOT and has been serviced as necessary. I have done a few (<10) trackdays at Goodwood and Bedford.

I love the car - hence my long spell of ownership, but I really do need the garage space for something else, so time to let it go :frowning:

To my shame and embarrassment, I’ve been a very passive lurker on exiges.com throughout my ownership. That said, whenever I’ve needed help or guidance on my Exige, the level of expertise available on here has been second to none, and has always helped me out.

I’d like to offer the Exiges.com community the opportunity to know of the availability of the car for sale, in advance of any wider publicity.

My car actually featured in the Top Gear Top 100 cars review (Lotus Exige S1 - YouTube) - although this was prior to my ownership.

Above the standard 177 spec, I have made the following improvements:

• Full suspension and brake refresh (including Nitron NTR)
  • Piper Vernier pulley
  • Emerald K6 - triple map switchable - mapped by Mr Dave Walker himself on the Emerald rolling road.
  • Jenvey 42mm Throttle bodies
  • Magnecor plug leads

Since this work was done, the car has done less that 1000 miles.

New MOT and as new Yoko A048s.

Overall, the car is in excellent original condition, with the usual minor stone chips to the nose,

I’ve attached the forum post maximum 3 photos at the moment - but I have plenty of others hi-res ones available if required.

Apart from the emotional stress of parting, the toughest part seems to be coming up with a realistic price. I’m not desperate for a quick sale, but do need to free up some space. I believe the car represents a genuine opportunity for someone to own and experience an original S1 Exige - and that is becoming a rarer possibility by the day. Like the rest of you I’ve seen the cars advertised at £60k or near - but I’m not convinced they’re selling. I also know that an S1 Exige is NOT for everyone, but if you want one, this is a good one. So I’m going to start by asking for £52,500 and see what response I get.

Beatiful car, good luck with your sale. Glad you’ve enjoyed you’re time here. Lol my car had done 48k up to 2006 and only 4K since :laughing:

Lovely car and I wish you good luck with the sale :thumbup:

Do you mind sharing your experience after you’ve done the upgrades to the engine? How did they affect the performance and the drivability of the car?
Did you do all changes at the same time or one after another (Emerald, verniers and Jenveys)?

Klaus

Thanks - it’s strange isn’t it? We love the cars, we keep them for a long time, but so many of us don’t really use them as much as we should.
For me the car is without comparison. Love the fact that it’s a Lotus, love the looks, love the simplicity and raw feel, love the connectedness of the driving experience - but when it comes to choosing to drive it, for some reason, I make other choices.
It will be painful to let it go, but I think I’ve well and truly scratched the itch.

Hi Klaus, I had all the upgrade work done together (close on 5 figures £). On the engine mods, the whole thing is just more drivable. Starts easier, ticks over more smoothly, power delivery much smoother.
Prior to the upgrade I had very lumpy tickover, sticky throttles, stalling, periodic 5.5k rpm limp home mode. Now I’m sure these could have been individually resolved with a bit of effort that would have cost less than I spent. However, for me, the goal was to improve overall the main aspects of the car that were either deficient from new (ECU, TBs etc.) and a bit tired after 30k (Suspension, brakes etc.).

Feels quicker than before, but I think that’s a combination of the engine and the increased stiffness from the suspension.
The triple maps ( I have a manual switch) add to the experience. In theory the maps are 1) Track 2)Fast Road and 3)'") “MOT” (although with a cat bypass that needs some “help” :wink:)
Running on 1 and 2 there’s a marked difference from 3 - including lots of popping and banging on overrun. All three maps seems to be set pretty rich.
Hope this helps.
cheers,
Stu

I can relate. I’ve had mine approaching 15years. It’s so very focused now but since I bought a Caterham I’ve not used it on circuit. In reality, I barely use it all as it would never be the car you’d choose just as transport. Plus, with a young family and living in London,…well the opportunities are few…I don’t think I could part with it though.

Highly appreciated to get some first hand experiences. Thanks for sharing them Stu :thumbup:
Klaus