Sinclaire ECU upgrade thread :)

Ok so as a few of you may know, I decided to go for the Sinclaire / Gotham ECU.

I did a good bit of searching and questioning people on here and settled on Sinclaires as there are a couple of people on here who have them and also they are based in the UK. The thought of sending my ECU across the pond and being without the car for weeks didn’t light my fire!

So the new ECU will allow full opening of the throttle and add the fuelling and ignition timing to suit. You also get 440 injectors which are needed to flow the extra fuel. I think it’s about �1200 all in.

Probably about 260-270 bhp

The car really doesn’t need it but what the hell!

So my plan after speaking to Wayne is that I will remove my ECU, send it to him next day delivery - he will check it, and if it’s ok then he will send me the new ECU and injectors next day. So a 2-3 day turnaround which I can live with!

Once I get the ECU fitted I will take it to my local Dyno Dynamics dyno to get the AFR checked, just to be sure. Alas I didn’t get a pre ECU dyno done, but I will also post up the power graph for info.

So tonight I removed the ECU.

Disconnect battery
[image]http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/ScoobyMark9942447902.jpg[/image]

Removed intercooler pipe to get to the ECU
[image]http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/ScoobyMark51177774054.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/ScoobyMark75022075470.jpg[/image]

Connectors removed
[image]http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/ScoobyMark621330386391.jpg[/image]

I have it’s brain!
[image]http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/ScoobyMark126063911022.jpg[/image]

Next are the injectors to remove!

You will be pleased with the result, when you get it back together start the car up and let it idle for about 15 minutes, this will help with the slow running callibration on your car. Fitting the injectors is fidly and you need to be sure not to catch the lower injector cushions when you install the injectors.
Is Wayne sending you the injector loom converters or are you planning on cutting and soldering the connectors?

Ah, wasn’t aware of any injector issues!

I don’t like the idea of cutting and soldering - will ring Wayne.

Cheers Ade!

There not really issues, it is just part of the upgrade, I had mine soldered as this will give a better connection in the long term, however the convertors are much easier to fit. The install of the injectors is just fiddly, I should have taken some pictures when I last had mine apart.

Thanks Ade. I thought they would just unclip and new ones would go on!

Will do them Weds once the ECU returns!

Give yourself plenty of time to do them, they are fidly.

I spoke to Wayne, he said they didnt do an adapter kit so it’s solder time!

I have a nice new gas soldering iron I can use though

Not totally happy about having to cut and solder, as i’d like to put it back to stock someday. Should be able to sort something though.

Do you find it’s a bit too fast now, Ade, or is the car still a balanced package? I have the standard brake setup.

How about for track? Any cooling issues?

Just keep the old connectors and they can always be put back on
No not too fast at all, at least you can now get by the “Japanesse turbo nutter barges” down the straights when they won’t back off the throttle, you do have to be more careful on the loud pedal coming out of second and sometimes third gear corners if you have the traction control off as you can easily light up the inside rear wheel
No cooling issues even with the charge cooler rad up front to, but I do have the upgraded Proalloy rad aswell.
You might want to consider at minimum better pads and fluid as you arrive at the braking zones 15-20mph faster than before

Have I got this right, buy a standard S 220, spend �1200 with Sinclaires and end up with a 270hp Exige?

Thanks again for the info Ade! I have braided lines going on, and Motul fluid but prob won’t be able to do the pads for a month or so.

Tony - correct Ade is your man for info, or ring Wayne. Hopefully I will have mine running on Wednesday and will give a review then.

PS - for 9000 miles my engine bay is looking a little grubbier than I like so I will be cleaning that up!

Thats me sorted next year then!

Have I got this right, buy a standard S 220, spend �1200 with Sinclaires and end up with a 270hp Exige?

I would say about 260hp for that price which I think is very good value for money, I would stress the need to buy better brakes of some sort to

Ok Sinclaire’s recieved my ECU today, and have sent the new one plus injectors

Will wait til tomorrow to remove them fully. Still not sure what connections the new ones will have. The OEM ones have 4 wires each on the connector - so presume the connector has to be snipped off and then solder the wires directly to the new RC440’s…

Those are not the injectors. Those are the coils for the spark plugs. the injectors are further forward of the top cover. they are just above the intake manifold.

Joseph

Oops wrong pics!

I did take them off incorrectly to begin with - back in 10. I had to fully remove the IC to get to them which was a bit of a bugger.

That is correct!

Yup i’ve taken all the injector plugs off but need to check on how the fuel rail comes off to access the injectors themselves, so left it for the morning. Looks a bit more tricky than I had hoped!

just 2 bolts to remove the fuel rail, the hard bit is not dropping the injector cushions, then you have to fiddle it all back together without trapping any of the lower injector cushions, all will become clear when you take it apart. I still suggest you go to the local toyota dealers and get a couple of spare cushions

I think I might need to remove a bolt on the side of the engine too, as the fuel rail is all hard piped until that point and might need some flexibility?

RE the cushions - I will see how my nimble fingers work

Hope the dealers have them in stock though.

Forgot to ask Ade, would the dealer doing a reflash, wipe all the Gotham settings?

God yes do not let the dealer near it after the reflash

forgot about that bolt…