Side air intake

What size hose are you guys with side air intake to ic using?
by my reconing it’s only about 50 mmm

You can get a 3 inch pipe into the side scoops, then with a bit of 3 inch ally pipe squashed a bit flater into the cooler shroud. Still get the same area so no restriction.

Should have all the parts available by the end of next week! :wink:

I have had some scoops made from some expensive wide ones I had , a mate can make them in carbon or fibreglass a lot cheaper than what I paid , my mates selling them now on seloc , i may start a group buy on here if there’s enough interest .
Pics scoops on his Elise :

Standard size :

Big restriction in air flow that I can see is the fine mesh in the side scoops.
My bother made a new grill for his westfield from a similar mesh to replace the open mesh grill westfild fitted. Looked loads better, but the car overheated!!
Got an idea on this one and will post pics when done.

[quote=scoob]Big restriction in air flow that I can see is the fine mesh in the side scoops.
My bother made a new grill for his westfield from a similar mesh to replace the open mesh grill westfild fitted. Looked loads better, but the car overheated!!
Got an idea on this one and will post pics when done. [/quote]
This is what Sam at TDI said when I was on the RR there.
As already posted… depends on how big the beasties are you wish to catch.

Agree about beasties, but air filter would stop them entering induction. I know its a bit of a faff but does not take long to vacuum off ic and air filter of such beasties.
Aesthetically total mesh removal not good. So will post pics once my idea once is in place. Don’t hold your breath, as could take a few weeks as v. busy with the rest of my life at the mo.

sorry about two “once’s” should have pressed preview…DOH!

[quote=scoob]Agree about beasties, but air filter would stop them entering induction. I know its a bit of a faff but does not take long to vacuum off ic and air filter of such beasties.
Aesthetically total mesh removal not good. So will post pics once my idea once is in place. Don’t hold your breath, as could take a few weeks as v. busy with the rest of my life at the mo. [/quote]

Few weeks ??? you tease :whistle:

could be soon…going to combe on Tues with LOT so gonna visit Merlin with my idea…

Any update on this?

Also anyone know if anybody is working on ducting/shroud from side intakes to intercooler following the intercooler test result thread??

My car is ‘done’ - ducting from both side scoops into intercooler shroud - I’ll let you know how I get on after Donny on the 25th :wink:

Don’t forget to deposit my patent fee into offshore account :wink: