Service before or after storage?

My annual service and mot falls at the end of Sept, which is when I take the car off the road until April.

Checking my mileage, I’ve done an embarrassing 340 miles this year… must try harder next year!

Seems a bit crazy to get it serviced after so few miles, but I will, though I’m thinking it makes sense to delay until April when it goes back on the road.

Will still have only done 340 miles and will move service interval to 18 months, but seems sensible to service when I start to use it again, not when I put it away for 6 months.

Or is there better logic for servicing before lay up?

Cheers

There are a few general rules for laying up a car, however I personally would leave the service and MOT until you are ready to put it back on the road.

Good advice available here -

:wink:

The advice is good from the AA. I always fill the tank to avoid condensation, over inflate the tyres and check the anti-freeze. If the car has done a decent mileage I change the oil before storage as there is an acid build up in oil. I expect it does no harm but it’s what I have always done. I service before it goes back on the road in as the check for the service also checks for rodent damage, nests and other nasties. Rats can gnaw pipes etc.

With only 340 miles it is a waste to change the oil. It does not go off in a year.

Thanks both, that AA stuff is good advice. I agree it seems a waste to bin the oil after 340 miles but no alternative if I want to stick to the official schedule, though it will be 18 months between services this time rather than 12.

When you SORN, does the DVLA issue paperwork of some sort? If so, just keep a copy for the cars history/service record file, as that should satisfy any future buyer of the car wanting to verify its maintenance record.