Sealing Exhaust Pipes

Hi chaps - can I draw on the extensive knowledge here…whats the best way of sealing my Elan Sprint Exhaust joints?

It’s a stainless system, must be at least 10 years old now. It’s really is a horrid thing TBH. Looks like a one handed blind man on a galloping horse welded it together and I do remember it was a total git to fit originally.

There’s just no give in it at all so the clamps dont do a great job of sealing the joints.

4 to 2 x 2’s then to 1 so basically it’s the 3 joints on the ‘Y’ shaped 2 to 1 under the gearbox which is the problem.

I have tried all sorts inluding wrapping with exhaust bandage and clamping over both sides of the joint etc but it always blows through eventually.

Any ideas?

ta

Simon

Simon

I’ve sent you a PM

There’s an exhaust sealing goo that mechanics use.
I used to use that when I had the EBD (the bloody flange was never really straight)

this might help in knowing where not to go:

http://www.alcester-racing-sevens.com/exhaust_sealing.htm

cheers Steve I did fing that site googling b4 I posted

I’ll see what I can bodge up tomorrow

Got the new clutch in the Elan and the engine bolted back on…at last

The Elan has run now for a couple of hundred miles now sisnce sealing the exhaust and it’s fine.

I used Locktite high temp sealant. It’s an orangy red sealant - looks like bath sealant. It seems ok. Very flexible and has not yet turned black and crumbled away!