SCROTH 4 (5) point harness.

Does anyone know where you can obtain the ‘extra’ 5th point ‘crotch strap’ for the Scroth 4 point sports harness system fitted to some S1 Exiges… mine included?

I would like to fit these to my car! so if the extra strap is available, how are these then fitted to the car? I guess it would be through the floor pan with a large bolt and backing plate.

Many thanks,

Pete.

Not 100% sure if they do these items, but they do the harnesses so it may be worth a try.

www.msar-safety.com

from what i remember you can fit a bar under the seat which is attached to the seat anchors i think. The strap then wraps round the bar.
gav

I would suggest a 6 point arrangement for a simple reason that a single strap would very uncomfortable and potentially dangerous. With regard to fixing it, have look at this, as fitted to my car: | | Reverie

Speak with MSAR, they should have what you are looking for.

i bought the fifth strap from komotec in germany. Tried to fit them and saw the buckles are only the 4 point
specification. (they simply miss out the pin for the fifth one for road homologation. ) i called schroth in germany and they sent me new ones with 5 points to click into. the body is made out of plastic now instead of metal, which is not so nice , but saves a few gramms…

oh yes and there are a few different methods i have seem to secure the straps. extra bar welded to the seat frame. even longer straps fed to the rear seat frame bolts. or as you suggest a load spreader plate. but the floor is itself not a suitable anchoring. the cross member is a bit more substantial.

Your Lotus dealer will supply the kit, strap, buckle and fitting bar…Part no.A340U6005S 5point Harness Adaptor Set cost me about �120. It is part of the Sport Package and is mentioned in the manual.
Its quite comfortable on circuit and if you only want 4 point on the road you can use the original buckle…It would be “knacker Cracker” in case of an accident …but I dont need any more children
And its better than submarining.
Does not take long to fit …Good luck

Your Lotus dealer will supply the kit, strap, buckle and fitting bar…Part no.A340U6005S 5point Harness Adaptor Set cost me about �120. It is part of the Sport Package and is mentioned in the manual.
Its quite comfortable on circuit and if you only want 4 point on the road you can use the original buckle…It would be “knacker Cracker” in case of an accident …but I dont need any more children
And its better than submarining.
Does not take long to fit …Good luck

Excellent info! Many thanks!

My buckle (plastic covered) has the 5th ‘hole’ for the ‘knacker cracker’ belt to go. If you adjust this right it means the lap straps can be adjusted properly, ie: low over the hips rather than tending to ride high up into the ‘softer regions’ when you pull the shoulder straps tighter.

This 5 point harness system is what is used on most aerobatic aircraft… I know the Exige is not that… but very nearly as exciting… Trust me!

Cheers,

Pete.

Demon Tweeks supply the Schroth crotch strap for about �15.

You may find that the 5th slot in the buckle won’t hold the strap plate though. This is because the locking pin is angled opposite to the others (I assume to stop a 4 point being used as a 5 point).

This can be converted easily though.

Undo the allen bolts on the rear of the buckle and pull the parts apart. You should see the pins and the 5th one set up differently. Just turn the 5th pin round 180 degrees and fit the buckle back together.

You now have a 5 point harness buckle.

I had been using a 6 point harness, with a T piece for the buckle, but had problems getting it to route through the seat, rendering it fixed/unadjustable.

As a result I’ve moved over to 5 point with a single crotch strap. I had to cut the eyelet hook off, to retain just the looped strap, and then fed it through the bar that mounts on the seat to subframe bolts. It now adjusts well, but its not nearly as comfortable as the 6 point setup.

I think I’ll have to improvise again.

Have you guys cut holes in your seats - or do you have holes - or are you wrapping the 5th point around the front of the seat?

I bought a kit from sector111 but started to panic when it looked like a hole in the seat was required.

Mine has the holes already in the seat. I don’t think it should be used unless you have the seat holes (though I might be incorrect).