SatNav connector fuses blowing.

Setting up my Garmin but find the fuse in the connector is blowing when I plug it into the cigarette lighter socket…
What should I look for? There is normal 12v out of the socket on test.

Hmmm.
A fuse blows because there is too much current flowing through it.
Are you talking about the car fuse, or is there a fuse in the Garmin end as well? If so, what amp rating is it? With two fuses in the same circuit the lowest rated one tend to blow first in case of a shortcut.

Either you have a fault in the 12v car socket or the Garmin.

1. Try your Gamin in another car.
  2. Plug another device into the car 12v socket

Sounds like a shirt in the Garmin cable rather or adapter.

Long or short sleeve, or maybe a T???

Dont lose your short over it…
Fuse blows in the plug in connector …once you can find where it is…
Cable works in other car and output from Lotus cigar thingy is 12v.
Silly question. Can DC be wired up the wrong way round ( thinks. Yes it can ). But would it danage the sat nav connection???
Answers on a (dirty) postcard please.

Does the fuse blow immediately you plug in your Garmin? And is the socket live, ie. 12v across it, when you plug in the Garmin?

If the answer to both those is yes, then I would suggest there is a sudden high current demand at that moment, taking out the fuse.

This could be a poor contact, short or spark across the contacts.

Not being familiar with Garmin, is there a switch in the 12v power cable? If not then you could try fitting one so it is open circuit as you plug it into the socket (ie. no current pull) then switch on once the connection is made.

That should avoid any likelihood of high current draw when you are plugging in.

centre pin is positive, outer sleeve is negative, I recon it is the wrong way round

I have this problem too. Which I believe is because the plug to the cig socket is the wrong way round. However, I only did that because I had the issue where the car wouldn’t stop when you turned it off when the headlights were on…which I understood can be caused by the cig power plug being the wrong way round. So now I don’t really know where my electrical problem is as changing it round cured that.

Do you have a cig socket powered tyre compressor? Mine works for that, which makes some sense to me as its the sort of electronics that could have been designed to cope with an odd DC flow.

Not sure if that helps but I’d be very interested in the fix.

It drives fine, which is all I really currently care about. :slight_smile:

I checked the voltage on my socket, it’s around the 12V mark.

You chaps are so knowledgeable :blush: I wouldn’t have a clue.

The good news is that by swapping the connections everything is hunky dory… :smiley: …on first inspection the connector looks like a moulded “one way” item but upon removal it turns out to be 2 separate connectors easily swapped.Yippeeeee. :laughing: :laughing:
The acid test will be if I end up in Cornwall instead of Anglesey next weekend. :crazy:
See you there.
( for you youngsters" Hunky Dory " is old fart speak for “good to go”:D)

Jolly good! Let’s see if it turns off with the headlights on. :slight_smile: