S2 Toyota Oil system

Does anyone have any info on the pros & cons of the standard twin oil coolers when pressing on on track?

Some think it puts too much strain on the oil pump and causes lower oil pressure in the engine due to the distance the pump has to push the oil.

Also I’ve heard that the coolers don’t allow the oil to heat up to its optimal temperature because they’re almost too good at cooling the oil.

Then there’s the weight and complexity of the oil coolers and plumbing.

Anyone have any conclusive info of the coolers vs a Laminova?

:slight_smile:

Light match, throw at bonfire and run LOL

Here is my take on this;

The twin oil coolers are needed for a well tracked car at 260hp to keep the temps nicely under control, as soon as you go laminova and introduce removing the heat in the oil via the radiator alone it is not up to the task. Then you add a triple pass allow rad to fix that issue.
Next if you decide you need an oil cooler on the gear oil to protect the gearbox and use a laminova, the cooling system becomes vary marginal indeed.
Make the car 300hp run the twin oil coolers and a laminova gearbox cooler, my old car, drive it hard on a hot day on track and the cooling is marginal at best.
I used a large accusump to protect against surge and loss of pressure
On the case of warm up, the oil cooler circuit is on a thermostat so it does not affect warm up time.

Just my opinion with my old car over the years.

I have the original oil set up (twin oil coolers), gearbox cooler on a laminova, triple pass rad (with chargecooler rad and AC) and 300+ horses, the cooling is just, just OK. I think you need to utilise the 2 spare holes at the front for cooling something, how you do it is up to you, but use them. Those using the laminova only to the front rad and 300hp ,I believe, struggle but they have 10-15 Kg less.