S2 - petrol sensitivity

I’ve noticed that after topping up sometimes that the car runs rough. Last night it cut out a few times while warming up rather than holding idle (while slowing down for a stop). I’ve noticed this before after filling up before. I mostly fill up at the same Shell station with Optima. After a thorough thrashing with lots of runs up to the light coming on the car smoothed out and idled properly. Anyone else experience this? Should I top up elsewhere?

Thanks,

Robert

Robert

IIRC there was a recall for the S2 to have the ECU reflashed, due to occasional stalling at tickover. Worth checking with your dealer to make sure that your car has been reflashed.

The ‘dealer fix’ ECU solution sounds right, as I had a similar problem also.

Without sounding like a LCI PITA, this issue has just been covered on their bbs too

Tim

Thanks guys, I’ll have it checked. It has not really been a problem unitl last evening, so I assumed I was in the clear.

-robert

I confirmed with the dealer today that the ECU was flashed, and everything is up to par. So now I’m thinking either petrol, the induction kit causing some sort of issue, or maybe I’m not driving it hard enough?

-robert

Robert

I had the same problem when I first got the car - the ECU flash originally sorted it.

But since I had the Reverie induction kit installed it’s started doing it again on and off - I’m guessing the ECU needs some time to learn the new fuel mix - if it doesn’t sort itself out in a little while I might ask for the fuel map to be riched up slightly.

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. The other option could be that I filled up from nothing the day after the heavy rain in London last week. Could have just been water in the fuel. The car is running great now after several evenings of late night blasts. I’m doing an Walsh day on Thursday so it will be interesting to see how it sorts out.

-robert

I’ve got the same problem when the engine is cold it runs rough when idle the revs drop…It doesn�t last long and has never cut out? I have the ITG induction kit and have been using Premium unleaded petrol.

Robert let me know what you think of the Andy Walsh day? I’ve just booked up for September.

Ozzer-

The Walsh day was fantastic. The only bad thing about it was that I now realize just how much more I have to learn to make full use of the car’s abilities! (And my back is sore now from spinning out so many times.) I highly recommend it.

Regarding the induction kit, I was actually thinking of going back to stock. I don’t feel right about taking my car back to Lotus and complaining that the idle is rough, or it cuts out, when I’ve altered it mechanically.

Take care,

Robert

I highly recommend it.

If you can get him to return your calls or sort out a problem that’s now in its 4 month! Grrr

Sure enough he can drive but I could teach him a few things on customer service!

Rant over.

Ian

I was told by my dealer to avoid using ‘Optimax’, ‘Ultra’ etc. all the time as it would cause the problems you’ve described.

They said to use one tank of Premium to every two tanks of Regular.

Hope this helps.

I’ll give that a go.

xman, thanks for that. I think your dealer may be on to something. We should all compare notes in a couple of weeks and see how we each fare.

-robert

I was told by my dealer to avoid using ‘Optimax’, ‘Ultra’ etc. all the time as it would cause the problems you’ve described.

They said to use one tank of Premium to every two tanks of Regular.

Hope this helps.

actually , that’s what i was also told when i bought my S1…

actually , that’s what i was also told when i bought my S1…

Really?! I thought the S1 190 wasn’t meant to be run on 95RON? It certainly seems to prefer the juicer stuff.

Ian

IDG

I have completely ignored it but it is what i was told something along lines of “SPR UNL being a bit rich for it so put normal tuff in every 3rd tank or so”

also remember mines not a 190 - more like a 165 (untouched from the factory !!)