S2 NA + Mods

Also - on pads - friend just put CL6’s on his Elise S1 - will let you guys know how he gets on… he defo preferred the CL5+ to pagids

Got you, think I’ve got a bit confused! Been a long day…

Love the wheels

Thank you! Just wanted something a little different but trying to find something that suited the car :slight_smile: I’ve got 205s on the front and I’m so impressed with the level of grip I might increase the width of my other set at the front (currently standard 195s on the other wheels) when they’re due for renewal…

Where did you get them from ? and which sizes did you go for ?

This was the trickiest part - working out what would fit! :unamused:

In the end, I ordered them from Driftworks, mine were:

17x8 ET35 4x100/114.3
16x7 ET40 4x100/114.3 - these obviously needed a spacer to make them work. I’m using 15mm spacers with 205/45/16 tyres.

I don’t have any rubbing or any other issues at all with them and my ride height is 120/120. I would definitely order them again.

I realised there might be other NA owners wondering about some of the mods and the effects they have.

I’ll start with the Piper Stage 2 cams as they were the most noticeable difference! I’ve not had a long time with them - seeing as for the vast majority of my time prior to the lockdown, I didn’t have a functioning high lift cam due to installation ‘hiccups’… but the low cam is utterly different to the standard Toyota part! :open_mouth: The engine has actual, honest-to-goodness torque at the lower end! I went to Donington with only the low cam functioning and my AD08RS fitted (the day was already booked and paid for, so I thought I’d just go and learn the track a bit at a lower speed as I had no idea there was anything mechanically odd going on - I’d just been for it to be checked out by Lotus the week before!) and it was startlingly different - you could actually drive around with only the first cam and a soft-limit 6300rpm and it was still making great progress! I could stay with my friend’s 111R for the most part and he was wringing it out! Very different to the standard low cam which is basically there for economy! This does have the side-effect that when you do actually get onto the 2nd cam, that the jump in performance is not as dramatic, but since getting it all working properly (lift bolts rescued from the bowels of the engine and new ones thread-locked in place!) the 2nd cam is most definitely still there and the upper ranges are still ‘zingy’, frantic and rewarding - it’s just that you’re going a bit quicker than you were! I had the cams done at the same time as a Fidanza flywheel and ACT HDSS clutch, so it’s not a 100% straight review of the effects of the cams themselves, but I think that it’s very representative of the difference you’d see if you just change the cams.

My VVL changeover is now set at 5k rpm, and I needed to get the EMU Black after the cam swap as the lumpy idle was just too much and the car had a tendency to stall in stop/start traffic as the OEM ECU couldn’t quite catch it in time as the revs dropped. If you’re prepared to blip it without fail then there’s no real ‘need’ to swap ECUs, but I do think that it kind of ruined the drivability of the car until the ECU was swapped…

In summary, I’d say that they transform the lower end of the rev range of a NA car, plus they give a fair amount of power at the top end too, but don’t forget to budget for an ECU just in case your car is not very drivable afterwards (like mine). Would I do them again? Yes! But I’d fit them myself, lol…

I noted yours would have been running the T4 ecu originally not the T4E. Do you think the fly-by-wire ECU would have coped with the cam/idle stall issue?

I think there’s much more chance… as far as I’m aware, the DBW ECU was a physically faster processor and you could adjust fuelling so I think that, at worst, you could have it reprogrammed to work. Mine was just a bit of a no-no and I wanted a better ECU anyway one day - it just meant I needed to buy it sooner than I thought, lol - but isn’t that always the way, really? :wink:

100% agree. Man maths wins every time

Loving this thread.

I love those wheels… Must resist, must resist :unamused:

Just noticed you’re in Nottingham - so am I! Will have to meet up some time after the lockdown! :slight_smile:

Great write up on the cams, on the topic of NA tuning there’s a fella terrorising supercharged Exiges across UK racetracks who’s really gone all-in on the NA side of things, gaining most performance from some shorter gearing. The car looks like an absolute hoot to drive, and he gets some serious pace out of it.

Need to see if he can be kidnapped and bullied into signing up to exiges.com - it’s a route that not many people tread, as it’s not a particularly cheap route and most would take the cowardly way out and bolt a supercharger on!

Lotus Exige at Snetterton, March 2020 - YouTube

Stop it [mention]Fonzey[/mention] - now I need to add a short ratio gearbox to my wishlist! :unamused:

Absolutely :+1:

SNAP!! nice car ,had to look twice when I saw it !!!,here is mine

Where were you when I was agonising over which wheels to choose!?! Lol!

LOL sorry

Crikey they are a bit similar!

Anyone else got bifolding door envy or is it just me?