S2 NA + Mods

I have had similar clutch problems with a lack of disengagement especially when hot, it was found to be the centre plate getting stuck on the input shaft of the gearbox, this meant when you depressed the clutch it would only pull the pressure plate away from the centre plate, but the centre plate would drag on the flywheel as it wasn’t free to move. I hope that makes sense? John (ex JSR) used a special grease on the input shaft, expensive fix having to take the box out to add some lubrication on the shaft! No pun intended…

That does make sense, and sounds very much like what I’m finding… I think I’ll have to look at a new release bearing at the same time as I can’t honestly live with this noise much longer, lol! I’m half tempted by a slightly less aggressive clutch too? I have the ACT HD SS clutch and with the Fidanza flywheel it seems to shake the whole car as you slide into first, lol!

What was your thoughts on the gains with the lightweight flywheel? I didn’t really notice mine to be honest, it was thrown in with many other parts - but when I did a back to back session with another Exige S on the standard flywheel I really didn’t notice.

Even with all else left equal, I think a LWFW will add a little bit of noise to a gearbox as you’re losing some ‘damping’ in the whole drivetrain which the inertia grants you from a pig iron original.

I think if I did it all again, I’d just get the original skimmed and reuse that.

1 Like

My friend had his low mileage 111R in at Track-Group for the KAAZ gearbox after he tried mine - and he asked whether he should do the Fidanza flywheel at the same time… I said the same thing to him, that it was possibly the least noticeable change I’ve made, and it has brought a few downsides along with it. In my head, I thought it would spin up a fair bit quicker and rev nicely… but it just didn’t seem to be any different, lol! It just seems to be less tractable now at low speeds, but with no noticeable benefit, so I wouldn’t entertain buying one again if I had my time again. After telling him that, he just went with the gearbox and an Exedy clutch, and now he has a really nice setup for a NA 2ZZ…

I would not bother with a lightweight flywheel again just for the sake of it, I don’t think there is enough benefit, I would fit one if mine was knackered but not just because I’m in there.

Seems we’re all in agreement. I guess the 2ZZ OE flywheel is already pretty light(??) it’s not like these clomping great V8’s that move from a 40kg dual mass jobbie down to a 4kg billet biscuit :laughing:

It’s all relative though. Next time you come over, I will drop a standard flywheel on your head/foot/other. Are there lighter options? Yes there are. Take out the gearbox just to change to a lighter flywheel, maybe not. Change while the clutch is being changed, yes.

On the other hand, I can sell you all some really, really heavy wheels!! And take those worthless 240R rims off your hands :thumbup:

Believe me I know what a flywheel to the foot feels like :lolno:

I also know what happens when you frisbee one into the garage loft and it comes into contact with the electrics from the house that are dropping down into the consumer unit. Story for another day :mrgreen:

That would have been an expensive mistake…

I liked the RLS wing ends, but they don’t seem to be available nowadays, so I designed a replacement wing end for the factory early S2 rear wing, then had it cut from Carbon Fibre. Really happy with the results!

…and before anyone says anything - NO I don’t think it will do a sausage to the aero, it’s just for the looks :slight_smile:

Look super!

Works for me :thumbup:

Just had word from TrackGroup that I now have a new clutch and release bearing fitted - the strange noises I’d noticed were coming from ‘bits of clutch cover that had broken’ Yikes! :open_mouth:

Hopefully when I pick it up, I’ll be back in action and then I can get on with taking it to pieces again over the winter to see about fitting the r9ktuned plenum :wink:

Yikes, but I’ve heard of that before when I was hunting around for possible causes of clutch failure on my first clutch. Some tabs from the pressure plate breaking off?

I’m hoping that was the cause of my shift problems, and also of some of the strange noises I’d heard… Pretty unfortunate, but we both know plenty about unfortunate transmission issues, lol :wink:

Just been to collect my car from TrackGroup - the guys there have fixed it and it’s working brilliantly!

Lovely shift, nice clutch action and they showed me the old (broken) clutch housing - it was an ACT HD SS jobbie and it had no more than 3k miles on it, but a couple of pieces of the housing had sheared off, and the bits were jangling around in there, causing some very disturbing noises at high RPM and, they think, were occasionally getting in the way and stopping the clutch pressure plate being able to slide as intended, causing the shift problem…

Very glad to have a working car again, and very lucky to have caught that issue before it destroyed something! :open_mouth:

Great stuff, I’ve definitely heard of this before with ACT.

Have you gone for same again? Or trying a different clutch. Hoping Clutch part warranty covered the labour…

Went for an Exedy this time - on their recommendation - feels amazing (like a normal clutch, unlike the ACT one, lol!)

Ha! Just googled it and, sure enough, exactly what happened to mine! What are the chances!?! :crazy: