S2 Exige - roof vent

Anyone know if the front intake duct can be unblocked?

Looks like a couple of plastic rivets hold on the mesh and there’s a black plastic sheet cut to fit behind it blanking off the vent… Does this go all the way to the engine compartment or does it stop at the roll bar cover?

Thanks!

If the mesh is removed its open then all the way to the engine compartment.
John

John

is that a bad thing?

is that a bad thing?

Only if you’re a flying insect

John

Flying insects aside, why then did Lotus decide to put the blanking plate there??

because they’re Lotus… i know, silly Q

Presumably it will aid cooling if it’s removed though?

When the S2 was first shown at the Birmingham motor show, I chatted with a Lotus engineer (he said he was responsible for the rear visibility) on the stand. I asked why some of the cars have the vent open and some have it closed. He looked really surprised and said they should be open. He didn’t believe me at first, and had to look at the cars on the stand.

Go figure…

I heard that its something to do with water seeping into the cockpit (presumably though non painted glassfibre ??), so as its not used it was blocked up. I presume this as someone mentioned the problem on the new 240R

(he said he was responsible for the rear visibility)

So… either he’s really bad at his job or he’s very smart,

i.e.
Eng: “Yeah… I’ll sort out all the rear visbility”
engineer does stuff all for 2 years
Manager: “This rear visibility is terrible!”
Eng: “Yeah… blame the stylists.”

I guess he didn’t spend much time on it. I think all he did was add the small extra opening in the middle, between the uprights for the wing. That’s got to be about 5 minutes work plus six months arguing with the stylists.

Still fcuking impossible to see out the back… I can only assume the rear view mirror was put in there to pass some SVA tests… first weight saving mod coming up

I heard that its something to do with water seeping into the cockpit (presumably though non painted glassfibre ??), so as its not used it was blocked up. I presume this as someone mentioned the problem on the new 240R

What “problem” with the 240R?

Has anyone got one yet then, I’m waiting for mine and didn’t think any had been delivered yet?
Although I have been on holiday for a week

Alan.

Is it me or does the roof vent on the S2 not seem big enough to be able to force enough airflow over an intercooler, especially when it is sat directly ontop of the engine??

Naaa, forget it its just cosmetic on the S2, the hole is so small even if you open it up you wont see any benefit. May help to keep the contents of the boot cooler at speed but thats about all, so unless you buy lots of cheese or frozen goods at the supermarket I would leave it as it is. End the thread!!!

John

JayCee, I believe TT is talking about the 240R’s cooler, which is plumbed into the back end of the vent. I am surprised too that it’s all it needs. Perhaps the high pressure over the rear hatch (it has downforce so it must have some) helps.

Ian