As a few of you already know, I have decided to take the plunge and go racing with the boys in the mid engined series with my S2 Exige. I have been keeping it all abit quite up until now, but the car is getting closer to being ready and the excitment welling up inside me is far too overwelming. I just had to tell someone!!!
It would have been nice to be posting as others have telling you all about the fun and games they went through in converting their road car to a race car…Unfortunately, I have neither time, patience or free space for such antics. I have therefore left it in the hands of the proffesionals to get on with in a far quicker fashion than I could ever have acheived and probably somwhere similar if not cheaper on the cost side of things.
I have decided to start out in the production class as this was the easiest way to get out on track with the motor as she stood (very much standard). The breif I gave to Graham at Plans for the first stage of conversion was basically to make the car as safe as possible and to get it to handle and stop as well as it possibly could, all within a budget of course. Priority was on the safety side of things though.
This was the spec we finally decided on.
Fully welded MSA approved rollcage made from t45 steel, this was designed to suit the car to allow maximum cabin space. The car is still going to be used both on the road and for trackdays so I wanted the most ergonomical design to allow ease of access for driver and passengers and of course in emergency situations. I looked at the FIA approved one from lotus but it made getting in and out certainly more difficult and just filled the cabin with too much steel in all honesty. It also made getting to the light switches and winders tricky with its front legs going into the sills. I knocked that one on the head and plumped for the bespoke unit instead.
Fully plumbed in electronic fire extinguisher system (2007 spec) and electrical cut out points. The external switches are mounted in the rear clam like the cup cars, while the internal switches are mounted on a c/f sheet inplace of the two centre air outlets. I have seen them mounted inplace of the stereo but I cannot reach them in that position when buckled into the seat.
‘Plans’ Ohlins 46mm GT kit with 240r race springs. geo and corner weighted.
Motorsport muti point ARB.
Braided lines with new Pagid 42’s all round + change of fluid (AP discs as soon as my standards are dead).
240r rims (silver)
Set of Yoko full race wets.
Twin oil coolers retro fitted (mine was one of the early cars without them).
Oil temp and pressure gauge.
Perspex front and rear screens.
New front and rear tow points.
Numbers and series decals.
This was about as much as the budget would allow in one go along with a new (in date) sparco race suit and thermal undies to go with it all…
I asked Plans to remove as much unwanted trim as possible in order to get the weight down a little, however I have had them replace the dash board for the momment, this gives me the option to take it in and out at a later date with its cut-outs already inplace (i would have just made a bodge job of it).
The car was going to be ready for me this Weds/Thurs, but one final mod has been decided upon before it gets returned. Im going with quick release fastenings for the front and rear clams. Yes it means drilling dirty holes in my shiny ones but the benefits should far outway the downside. epecially when it comes time for working on the car as I will be able to remove ansd replace in minutes rather than hours.
Thought i would share a few of the pics Graham has been sending across while the project has been going along…