S2 Exige Alloys

Ah I see what you are saying Steve but on the S2 the wheel would be where it was supposed to be since the use of the spacer is to put the wheel in it’s original place relative to the bearing

I may be being thick…but I think you are missing the point - If you put a wheel on the same hub with a bigger offset, the wheel will sit further inside the wheel arch because the wheels bolting face will have to move further in to meet the hub.

[image]http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/images/wheel-offset-300.gif[/image]

In the above example if the original wheel had a zero offset, then fitting this wheel (assuming rim width to be equal in both) would require a spacer to fill the gap labelled as “offset”.

The weight acting on the wheel is transferred to the hub via the wheelface. In the above example you can see it is further from the hub than the original.

A weight acting at a distance from a point will transfer a greater loading than a weight acting at the point. When we are talking cars the point is the hub and the critical component is the bearing.

I have to agree with Steve here.

Lotus, who are recognised by the motoring world as THE best at ride & handling DO NOT recommend the use of wheel spacers on any of their products. Of course, there are others who know better…

Tim.

Not sure that’s completely true tim. I thought the motorsport mags for the S1 were recommended to have 3mm spacers on the rears to prevent chassis rub.

Ian

I thought the motorsport mags for the S1 were recommended to have 3mm spacers on the rears to prevent chassis rub.

Ian - recommended by who?

Ian, I was actually paraphrasing a Nick Adams quote seen on LCI recently. Maybe I should cross post it.

Tim.

I thought the motorsport mags for the S1 were recommended to have 3mm spacers on the rears to prevent chassis rub.

Ian - recommended by who?

I understood it was Lotus motorsport, Kershaw used them.

However, I think this is just to put the offset back to what the Rimstocks are.

Ian

I understood it was Lotus motorsport, Kershaw used them.

I stand to be corrected but I didn’t think that there was an official link between Lotus and Kershaw when he was racing, ie, he was not racing as “Lotus”.

However, I think this is just to put the offset back to what the Rimstocks are.

My understanding, from following the series at the time, was that the smaller offset wheels were introduced into the motorsport series after the cars had been eating wheel bearings. The idea being to place less loading on them by bringing the load point closer to the centre of the bearing. They also moved to the larger bearings.

There is also a large differance between 3mm and 20mm - was Gavin running the larger bearings in the Motorsport hubs?

There is also a large differance between 3mm and 20mm…

Which is why I wasn’t too worried about 3mm. The aim being a safety one to stop any tire rub.

Ian

• was Gavin running the larger bearings in the Motorsport hubs?

I belive he was, along with anybody running the motorsport uprights.

Ah I see what you are saying Steve but on the S2 the wheel would be where it was supposed to be since the use of the spacer is to put the wheel in it’s original place relative to the bearing

I may be being thick…but I think you are missing the point - If you put a wheel on the same hub with a bigger offset, the wheel will sit further inside the wheel arch because the wheels bolting face will have to move further in to meet the hub.

[image]> http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/images/wheel-offset-300.gif> [/image]

In the above example if the original wheel had a zero offset, then fitting this wheel (assuming rim width to be equal in both) would require a spacer to fill the gap labelled as “offset”.

The weight acting on the wheel is transferred to the hub via the wheelface. In the above example you can see it is further from the hub than the original.

A weight acting at a distance from a point will transfer a greater loading than a weight acting at the point. When we are talking cars the point is the hub and the critical component is the bearing.

lol! I’m not very good at explaining am I!!

Remember I am talking about putting the Exige wheels on the standard S2 & the rear hub on the S2 sits further inboard by 20mm than the Exige.
[image]imagecave.com - contact with domain owner | Epik.com

So you can see that when fitting the Exige wheel to the standard S2 with a spacer, the outside edge of the wheel remains in the same place relative to the hub.

Junks, are you related?

[image]http://www.ac-creteil.fr/Colleges/93/jmoulinmontreuil/mathematiques/enigmes/anciennes_enigmes2/gifs/einstein.jpg[/image]

lol!! No but I’m nearly as old as him!!

[image]> http://www.ac-creteil.fr/Colleges/93/jmoulinmontreuil/mathematiques/enigmes/anciennes_enigmes2/gifs/einstein.jpg> [/image]

He’s thinking…'I tink zeez wheel spacer idea is no good, yes?

Tim.

So you can see that when fitting the Exige wheel to the standard S2 with a spacer, the outside edge of the wheel remains in the same place relative to the hub.

Junks - you have put alot of effort in there - just one question - what happens to the inside edge of the wheel relative to the S1 and S2 hubs?

On a separate but related issue, I had a read around and now believe that the S1 wheel locates on the flange of the hub which is load bearing. The wheel studs are not, which is different from other cars I have. Fitting a spacer that removes or reduces this load bearing area does not seem like a good idea.

My turn to be “thick” - I don’t understand the question Steve??

Sorry - just trying to make it clear that’s it the forces being applied at the wheel face that is the “engineering” concern.

I am in full agreement with you on the relative position of the inner and outer faces.

have the wheels been sold yet?

Now sold.

Might be a clue!

I have a set left, not as nice as those but a little cheaper, pm me if you are interested. [/thread hijack] (sorry!)