S2 Exige Alarms + Immobiliser

What is the standard equipment like ??? Is the central locking activated by a remote or when you turn the key in the drivers door ?? Do many people upgrade the system to a clifford or similar ??

Thanks for any info.

Central locking is activated by the remote. The door lock does very little, just a catch to open the door…

The standard system seems fine to me and I bbelieve it is a category 1 alarm.

The key fob disarms the alarm and unlocks the car.

The door locks do serve a purpose- they’re deadlocks. If you arm and lock the car with the fob, then turn the doorlock using the key, then unlock the car with the fob, you won’t be able to open the door until you use the key to disengage the deadlocks. Always do this with mine if leaving for extended period. The alarm/immobiliser is Thatcham Cat 1.

Great - thanks for the info, I think that clears up my queries.

The standard system seems fine to me and I bbelieve it is a category 1 alarm.

I have heard people state that a Cat 1 system is better than a Cat 2 in terms of a grading structure. In reality, they are categories for different things. To quote the official website:

The Thatcham Vehicle Security Categories
Thatcham have defined a number of categories for vehicle security devices and produced criteria and test specifications for each category. The list below shows what these categories cover and the principal features required.

Category 1
Passenger Cars, LCV, HGV, Plant, Motorcycles
ELECTRONIC ALARM AND IMMOBILISER

Alarm
Perimeter detection
Ignition detection
Passenger compartment movement detection OR glass break and inclination detection
Audible warning with battery back-up power supply
Immobiliser
Passively set
Isolates a minimum of two operating circuits or systems, or a minimum of one operationally relevant vehicle control unit with coded intervention

Category 2
ELECTRONIC/ELECTROMECHANICAL IMMOBILISER

Immobiliser
Passively set
Isolates a minimum of two operating circuits or systems, or a minimum of one operationally relevant vehicle control unit with coded intervention

Category 2/1
ELECTRONIC ALARM UPGRADE [GENERAL APPLICATION]

Alarm
Perimeter detection
Ignition detection
Passenger compartment movement detection OR glass break and inclination detection
Audible warning with battery back-up power supply
Resistance to attack for a minimum of one minute
Installed on vehicles with existing Category 2 immobilisation to attain Category 1 status

Category 3
MECHANICAL IMMOBILISER

Immobiliser
Easy to set and unset
Isolates a minimum of one operating system
Permanently or temporarily installed

Category 4
WHEEL LOCKING DEVICES

Reliability and durability
Secure key replacement procedure
Product traceability
Resistance to attack

Category 5
AFTER THEFT TRACKING AND RECOVERY SYSTEMS

Vehicle location systems
Vehicle remote immobilisation systems
Vehicle signalling systems

Q Class Systems
AFTERMARKET �NON CATEGORISED� SYSTEMS

Alternative alarm systems
Vehicle marking systems
Vehicle data recording systems
Vehicle paging systems
Vehicle location systems
Vehicle ID systems
Vehicle signalling systems
Uprated door lock devices
Image recorders

Are you sure the key operates dead locks? Do you know what a dead lock is? Surely if it was a dead lock (as opposed to the normal Elise key lock they have just left in), it suggest that if you lock the door with the key alone when the door is open, then you should not be able to close the door as the lock will be dead, as opposed to a latch lock…will give it a go later to see!

Must admit, not entirely sure on the terminology, but it’s what the dealer called it. If you lock the car with the fob, then the key, then unlock with the fob, when you try to open the door the button depresses but doesn’t open the door. Call it what you like, it’s apparently security that some people weren’t aware they had!!

IIRC the real test of a dead lock is if it can be disengaged from inside the car simply by pulling the handle

If the S2 has the old S1 elise lock, you can just reach in the car & release the door from there, so no dead lock

Tim.