S2 Brakes on 240R

That may also be why they invaladate the warrantee if you fit them yourself.

Who do you mean by “they”? Isn’t this sort of thing caught by the Block Exemption regulations?

I agree, “track use only” usually just means that Lotus have not been through a compulsary time consuming and expensive testing programme that can include fitting the part to a car and then crashing it…

And perhaps that they expect the owners to…

Aren’t all the 240’s Lotus sport built & individually SVA’d

If so does the SVA system allow for ‘one offs’, subject to inspection?? That may still affect warranty on the brakes, but insurance should be ok to arrange

Anyhow, you should wait while Lotus & the part supplier try to resolve the problem, then push for a deal if it can’t be sorted by them (to fund aftermarket jobbies).

Tim.

Aren’t all the 240’s Lotus sport built & individually SVA’d
Anyhow, you should wait while Lotus & the part supplier try to resolve the problem, then push for a deal if it can’t be sorted by them (to fund aftermarket jobbies).
Tim.

The 240r/240 Cup cars are post build modifications so not SVA’d. The car is registered as it comes of the production line, before Lotus Sport get hold of it.
Bit late for me anyway, I’ve rejected that car now and it’s back at the dealer. Lotus don’t have a fix for the problem, well not one that isn’t for track use only hence my post.
They’ve only known of the problem for something like 12 weeks, I’m sure thats enough time to sort it if they had wanted to.

Bit late for me anyway, I’ve rejected that car now and it’s back at the dealer.

Thought that must be yours that I saw at the weekend, damn shame, what’s next?

Bit late for me anyway, I’ve rejected that car now and it’s back at the dealer.

Thought that must be yours that I saw at the weekend, damn shame, what’s next?

All depends on how the fight over how much I get back goes (and it’s all gone quite at the moment!). Probably a Caterham R400 though, or a race car just for trackdays.

Surely when they say to you it will ‘invalidate warranty’ they are only refering to the parts you have fitted yourself and anything that is direcly linked to them.
In this case i would say the the brake disks, calipers and possibly the master cyllinder. Cant see how they can get out of any other warranty item such as engine /gearbox failure.

It’s the same as using yoko ao48’s without the LTS designation (you can by ‘normal’ 48r’s from any yoko dealer). Lotus however will not cover any warranty claims for suspension and the like if you dont use the LTS tyre, everything else should still be covered though.

I changed the brakes on my Audi RS as soon as I got it because the standard affairs are completely crap for anything other than road use. Audi upheld my waranty on evrything but them (no biggie) and listed the brake upgrade with the insurance (at no extra cost I might add).

So, for those of us who intend to keep their car (and I’m certainly keeping my Cup), has anyone got a brake upgrade that they can recommend?

A Lotus dealer out here in Switzerland says go for bigger discs. I believe they use Tarox. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Talk to plans, they have several options depending on the use you are going to put the car to.

I have these
[image]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/jamieall/IMG_3630.jpg[/image]
They are the AP 295/290mm F/R from Elise Parts with RS19 they do the job!

jamie, did you find any difference (in any aspect) when you put the 240 wheels on?
and did plans do the brakes for you?

Do you know which AP discs these are, ie, down to part number?

Hi Guys
These are the 295/290 mm (F/R) AP5000 discs on ali bells dont have a figure but they are a fair bit lighter than the standard items. They were purchased via EP and they are excellent when paired with RS19s

There are two wain benefits to the 240R wheels
1 if you were so inclinded you can fit slicks on the account of the wider fronts.
2 The 240R rims weigh in at 6.1kg at the front and 8.1kg at the rear, 16"x7J and 17"x8J (the 16 spoke cast Exige rims weigh 8.8 and 9,4 kg - 6.5J front, 7.5J rear)

As far as an performance gains they are harder to feel but less work of the Ohlins the better Was at Croft last month in the wet and all I know is i was able to pass a lot of other Exiges