S2 Brake Disc's

Dear All, I managed to kiss a roundabout this week in my S2 Exige (!!) and had to take a trip to Wicked Wheels in Brighouse where Chris did a fantastic job of sorting my alloy, but whilst the wheel was off we noticed that the vents on the disk curved to the front, which was the same on the front wheel which means that the discs on the left side curve to the rear but the right side curve to the front, is this right or have Lotus fitted left side discs on the right side ? surely this will affect cooling of the discs?

No they all do that!
Think they cut a corner there. Quite high on my list is new discs which vent correctly
I found I was crippled by brake fade at Croft. Different pads help but different discs as well perfect

Big sigh of relief ! Thanks Jamie

I couldn’t quite believe what I was seeing when I looked at the direction of the veining on the discs (rears are the same). I would have thought Lotus being classed as a ‘sports car’ manufacturer would have had this sorted…

I found I was crippled by brake fade at Croft. Different pads help but different discs as well perfect

Never had any trouble with brake fade at Croft and I’m running with just the standard fit ‘soft’ pads atm pulling pretty repsectful times. Not trying to tell granny how to suck eggs or anything but I think most of the problems of brake fade in a 20 minute session are down to the individual driver in how they generally operate them and how long they are applied for. Try not braking so much and do it later and harder, the less time you are on them the less heat and wear they will generate.

Never had any problems with brake fade on mine with the standard pads.

One word of caution though. I was speaking to a bloke with an S2 Exige at Donnington who was asking me about the standard pads on my car and how they were wearing.

No problem said I. 3rd track day with them and there is still half the pad material left.

He said thet when his car was just over 6000 miles the pads just seemed to disintergrate.

My car was on 6,500 miles and when I finished my final session I noticed that both front pads had completely gone.

Driving from Donnington to Cardiff in rush hour traffic without touching the brakes takes some concentration I can tell you!

4500 miles on my first set of pads (inc 4.5 trackdays), the discs still look like new even now with 5.5k on them. I will replace them with sometihng different (i.e with the veining going the right way :doh:) once they are shot.

I will have to cheeck them as the wheels will be off on Tuesday anyway.

As for the brake fade, I know how to be kind on the brakes, I was not doing 20min sessions. I would expect to not have any issues considering what an Exige is sold as a trackday animal!

My front disks took a bit of a hammering from a final session with no pads so will probably be replaced in the spring with some Eliseparts Ali Belled disks.

First outing at Donnington a few months ago I did a final session of about 45 minutes and the brakes were still good at the end.

so will probably be replaced in the spring with some Eliseparts Ali Belled disks.

I might have a spare set if you are interested?

Thanks Steve but I wont be looking to get them until next spring.

In the middle of buying a house which is taking all my cash at the moment