S2 Battery.....in the front.

As i understand it, the vx220 has the battery in the front. Not sure if thats correct, but if it is i was wondering if its possible for us to do it.

I am thinking of getting a lightweight battery to save weight, and if i could move it to the front that would also be a plus.

Has anyone done it?

It’s in deep down in the front on S1s.

I believe the battery is in the rear of all S2’s (Exige & Elise) to make room for the air con (that actually works )in the front.

So it’ll be a no-go if you have a/c & want to keep it.

Tim.

Plans Motorsport have done this. We use a low Mercedes battery on top of the heater. It does require a thick battery cable to go from front to rear. You save masses of boot space.

A front battery is a bit of overkill for most applications.

A simpler solution is our race battery conversion which gives more boot space and stops you boot filling with battery acid. Tends to ruin your suit.

Finally, for the ultimate in battery solutions we can do both. We fit a front battery for everday use and then a race battery in the boot with its own isolator. So you can leave your car in an airport car park for two weeks, use the main battery to power the alarm, and when you come back simply switch on the slave battery which will still be fully charged to start the car.

Doesn’t the S2 have a thick cable front to rear as standard Due to the central locking & cable release only on the exige.

No offence, but why have two batteries as the ‘ultimate’? surely one will do

Tim.

PS my suit(s) have done just fine in the boot during track days. But then again, i’m no great driver

Is there a split charger included with the two battery solution?

Thanks for the replies.

Not sure the point of two batteries

I wanted to take weight out of the car and if poss re position it in a more favourable place.

The S is approx 30/40 kg heavier than the std exige and all of this is in the back. I was hoping to take approx 10 kg(std battery) out of the rear and put 5kg (racing battery)in the front.

I am trying to save as much weight as i can, especially in the rear.

I dont really use the boot and have noticed since I have taken the plastic surround off and have found the battery leaks a bit. Is there a battery that does not leak but will keep the car alive if left for a couple of weeks? Sounds like the race battery would be killed by the alarm etc quite quickly?

How about a gel type battery? I’m not sure which are which aren’t but I hear they are very durable if not a little more expensive. A good automotive electrical dealer should be able to point you in the right direction.

Thats what i was thinking of, but put it in the front to get a balance advantage on top of the weight benefit.

I have heard its were the battery is on the vx220…anyone confirm this?

I’ve used the jap spec batteries before in some of my cars. You have to change the terminal ends as the posts are smaller but this is a very quick and simple job. They are common now in the UK and therefore the price has come down alot. Exide do an uprated one for about �40 - looks good as well.
They are powerful enough to start a 2.6 straight 6 as they come std on a skyline and my car had a few gadjets and a constant feed cat 1 alarm and would remain powered and still start after approx two weeks un used.

The only issue is that it maybe toooo light to act as front balast.

I’ve used the jap spec batteries before in some of my cars. You have to change the terminal ends as the posts are smaller but this is a very quick and simple job. They are common now in the UK and therefore the price has come down alot. Exide do an uprated one for about �40 - looks good as well.
They are powerful enough to start a 2.6 straight 6 as they come std on a skyline and my car had a few gadjets and a constant feed cat 1 alarm and would remain powered and still start after approx two weeks un used.

The only issue is that it maybe toooo light to act as front balast.

Hello Lockie!

What do they weigh compared to the std battery? I want to get the 30/40 kg extra weight of the SC out of my car in other areas. Exhaust, battery, stereo, inertia reels, roof are my first ports of call…f

I will have a go at weighing one tomorrow !!