S1 Exige Intake pipe

It’s Steves (6970k) personal mechanic here, has anyone got a quick picture of the air intake pipe and how it fixes onto the side of the clam intake. I know there is a foam cone filter in there but thought it should be fixed to the clam not a good 12/14" away.
Cheers Lee
Ps he has a butler too :slight_smile:

If it’s standard then it doesn’t - just points in the general direction. Good assembly diagram on Deroure:

On a lot of cars, the inner filter and resonator valve are omitted.

Yes, is just lies around pointing in the general direction of the air intake. I have always assumed that when the resonators where fitted it was closer to the intake but still not fixed.

Wasn’t there a flowerpot-like thing you could get that connected it to the side intake? I believe that wasn’t standard as it increased noise (but I might have got that wrong).

Pipercross Viper?

Lee has got it pointing towards the air scoop more now and might be my imagination, but when I was out in it this morning it feel to be running better.

I am pretty sure you couldn’t see the side vent from the engine on Shrek.

There is a half moon style connector on the other side of the car for the pipe that runs cold air from the scoop to the alternator. It’s a bit flimsy and designed for a much smaller diameter. I’ve seen this connector or something similar used to hold the air intake in place, but it doesn’t seal to the scoop as I think that’s generally considered a bad idea.

There is indeed an ‘intake’ mould that enables the intake flexi pipe to be mounted to the side intake. It’s divided into 2 areas, one for the intake hose to attach to, there is also a ‘bypass’ cutout hole to stop total blockage of the intake. I had one on my first S1!

Most peeps just have the intake pipe pointing in the general direction of the side intake however!

Shrek was quite prudish at times Steve! :laughing:

I tend to agree that connecting the hose directly to the air scoop is a bad idea. I did it on my S1 Elise and then thought “what happens if I go through a puddle and a lot of water goes into the side scoop”, it all gets swallowed and hydraulic lock can follow. I promptly cut a large drain hole into the intake pipe.