S1 EXIGE Honda Supercharged Charge Cooled for sale

A modern classic with prices rising rapidly, the Exige S1 is arguably Lotus’ best ever road going driver’s car. Only 604 cars were built and it was on sale for just 18 months. This is car number 165.

This car is an incredible head turner and has huge road presence.

The first generation Exige was introduced in early 2000 as a racecar for the road. Born out of the successful Lotus Sport Elise racecar, which was campaigned throughout Europe with such success in 2000 and 2001, the Exige was hand built in low numbers for a few markets around the world.

This 350bhp lightweight car is astonishingly quick, and I am an average driver. See this video shot from it, at Brands Hatch. Brands Hatch - YouTube In the hands of a better driver it would be much quicker still. This is the actual car featured on the cover of Practical Performance Car magazine September 2009.

Mechanically the car is AAA, and is track ready. However, it is not a garage queen, so if a buyer’s intended purpose is primarily non-track, I would suggest it needs a respray. I did not do this, due to my usage of the car being track biased.

The car is therefore priced to sell, bearing in mind that a future owner may want it cosmetically perfect.

The car comes with various parts, including TWO instantly swappable rear engine covers i.e. a solid Motorsport one and a slatted one. No tools required to swap, simply release 3 slide catches. See pictures and this (CCTV) video CCTV - YouTube

Private plate included with car.

The original Exige, even with standard aero, has more downforce than many supercars. This car will have even superior downforce.

Data from original Lotus forum:

At 100mph the following figures are the lift in kg. Negative lift is downforce.

S1 front -5.92kg

S1 rear 10.46kg

S2 front -3.95kg

S2 rear -7.90kg

S1 Exige front -21.53kg

S1 Exige rear -36.12kg

Specification of this car:

Honda supercharged Edwards conversion using Jackson Racing supercharger

Charge cooler supplied and fitted by Hoffmans

Boost upgrade kit

Quaife Limited Slip Differential

Masters clutch & flywheel

Quickshift

Snap off Momo steering wheel

AP 304mm front discs

AP 290mm rear discs

Pagid RS14 pads

Red brake calipers

Uprated drive shafts (made from F1 grade steel with lifetime guarantee)

Speedline Magnesium wheels fitted with Toyo R888 tyres

Carbon fibre seats with red Alcantara

Luke racing harnesses

Carbon door cards and dash panels

Aluminium window winders

Motorsport roof and engine cover

Edwards front and rear splitters

Second, slatted engine cover (better cooling, and looks even more aggressive)

Reverie wide carbon rear wing

Side aero boards

Eliseparts twin headlights (solid red headlight covers provided with car, for optional track use)

Nitron dampers

Eibach springs and collars

Nylatron bushes

Motorsport radiator

Oil cooler

Tullet over the top exhaust (keeps heat away from driveshafts)

Super charger nose brace (a must with charge cooled cars)

S2 throttle cable

All 4 engine mounts replaced with latest stiffer ones to stop engine movement

Rear view Camera with night low light capabilities installed with LCD screen in the form of a rear view “mirror”

Custom Heatshield for rear camera

Fixed front and rear GoPro mounts

AIM Smartycam – hardwired and fixed installed in cabin facing windscreen. Box & manuals included. See end of this video Brands Hatch 2012 - YouTube for example footage.

AIM digital dash fitted with smarty camera shows oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, fuel level, gear indicator. displays revs, speed and G force on video. (Original dash also provided)

Red, Amber, Green sequential shiftlight system

Fixed charging socket under bonnet. Yamaha trickle charger included.

CD & MP3 player with upgraded speaker system

“X11GE R” private plate included

To get this Exige to this specification has cost over £65k

Specification listing is partly taken from when I originally bought the car in 2011, as I did not make most of the modifications myself. Buyer is welcome to check and confirm all details in person.

Original manual and books, with original Exige cover, in mint condition. Stamped maintenance book, prior to my ownership.

Car shows 2,987 miles on new dash. Old MOT shows previous mileage 46,022.

However, the car has only done 13,000 miles since its Honda conversion.

File of invoices and MOTs etc included, both historic and during my ownership.

No accidents, bumps or finance. I’ve never gone off track (even onto grass or gravel) in it, although I have spun remaining on the tarmac.

This car has been serviced and maintained by Maidstone Sports Cars since 2011, and they should be able to attest to its perfect mechanical condition. No expense has been spared on this car mechanically, as the car’s specification and file of invoices will attest. The only thing I have not done to it is have it resprayed.

It sounds good too. See Roast Pork - YouTube

A very rare car with supercar beating performance at the fraction of the price and running costs. I looked for years before I found it available for sale, so don’t expect any Exige S1 with anywhere near this specification to be on the market any time soon :slight_smile: I am selling only because I drive it so rarely, doing only 500 miles per year.

There is a new MOT on the car, which expires 21 June 2018.

Also on <LINK_TEXT text=“Browse cars for sale | PistonHeads UK … ed/7407955”>Lotus Exige S1 cars for sale | PistonHeads UK</LINK_TEXT>

A bargain for a rare classic, and an extremely highly specified, incredibly quick car, at £54,950.

No offers please.

Fantastic spec, realistic price, First to test drive will buy.

Not many about with 55k???

:laughing:

Well done, you were absolutely correct. The first to see it, bought it.

I know I will miss this car…

SOLD.

Dread to think what the experts on seloc will say; they all thought it was about 40k overpriced Jas :slight_smile:

Glad you’ve found a buyer.

Nice one Jas :slight_smile: - I’m sure you you’ll miss the little beastie until the new arrival…

Nice to prove the naysayers wrong :slight_smile:

Congratulations on the sale.
Some people DO appreciate Honda s/c converted cars!!!
Went to Malcom Ricketts Lotus Racing open day and it was very encouraging to hear the complementry comments about the S1 amongst all the lovely historic cars. And historic people! Including me .

Congratulations Jas!!

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

…and well we all know there are a tiny minority of nasty envious types on seloc, who ruin the atmosphere there :frowning:

I do hope I won’t miss it too much, as I know it will be virtually impossible to replace. The S1 Exige is a very special machine indeed, and one with the right mods is a supercar beater on a track like Brands Indy. Amazing machines, and a bargain even at current prices.

I’m sure I will get over it though when the Ferrari is finally delivered :slight_smile:

Just had a message off the new owner saying he bought my old car. I sold him my Radical SR3 RS a couple of years ago. Small world

Yes indeed, we discussed that when he came to collect the Exige :slight_smile:

With these types of cars it is indeed a very small world, and I often find I keep bumping into the same faces at various car and track events. Even with my i8.