S1 Dyno VHPD power runs, then and now

After a great day at Dony on Tuesday I thought my S1 Exige felt really slow on full gas. I booked it in to the local dyno this morning to see how many horses have left the paddock. 10 years ago (different dyno) it made 188HP at 7500 at the wheels. These days I rev limit at 6500 and it made 168hp at the wheels, exactly the same at 10 years ago.

However, 10 years ago I was running an Emerald, now I use a stock controller and the power is lower going up the Rev range with the gap closing at high revs.

Even though it sounds like it’s about to explode in the car, it sounds really fruity outside.

Not bad for a 20 year old Metro engine. I’ll just have to accept a v6 Exige or 911 GT3 is faster.

2 Likes

188 at the wheels is pretty crisp.

Sometimes it’s not your car being slower, is the rest that moves faster

1 Like

Well hello there - I have no track pics of you, I’ll ask the 2 others I was with but have a paddock pic!

1 Like

Well, that’s not too shabby. I might give mine a dyno run ( never had one before) once I’m run in

Yes, it is good. I was hoping to find it was well down as it really felt slow, especially when I took the instructor out, he was not the lightest!

The rolling road guy said his rollers are accurate and they are flywheel readings. Looks like it could still be 188hp at 7500 as the power was still rising steeply when we got to the self imposed 6500 Rev limit.

Thanks for the paddock pic. I’ve got some really good ones from the official photographer, I’ll post one or two once I’ve purchased them!

Thommo, my car is stock 190 except I had vernier cam wheels fitted and they were fine set on the dyno. I have none of the normal Exige running problems, worth doing. I assume I’ll see you on LTIP?

Thanks for the paddock pic. I’ve got some really good ones from the official photographer, I’ll post one or two once I’ve purchased them!

James Roberts - hero status :muscle:

I have yet to meet a dyno operator that says different.

Just use the dyno for before / after mods or mapping for safe pulls.

1 Like

Tend to agree. They did match a dyno from 20 years ago +_ 8hp, it was much hotter this time and the air pressure was 10pc higher.

Bottom line is, I don’t think any of my horses have escaped, I just think an S1 VHPD does not have that much power compared with newer stuff, it is 20 years old.

Thanks for the info, Keith. Sadly, I won’t be at LiTP. Hope to collect car next week.

It is lovely that S1 of yours. I think as you say it’s the fact newer stuff tends to be considerably more powerful these days. You only have to look at the s3 Exiges for example. I know you know Doni well but it can make even the swiftest of cars feel like they are lacking power at times with the flowing corners and elevation.