S1 Carbon Air Box Intake

Hi guys,

Just picked up my ‘new’ S1 Exige today!!! NOW I DO know what you are all on about!

QUESTION? The HUGE carbon air box is fed by a HUGE intake pipe that seems to find its way down the left hand side near to the HOT AIR from the exhaust manifold… totally missing the left hand air intake that can of course provide a source of nice cold ram air!

SURELY the HUGE intake pipe should be plumbed directly into this intake! The does not appear to be a fitting to make this so however!

Any thoughts or ideas on this illogical? location would be much appreciated! OR… am I missing something!

Cheers,

Pete. [color:“blue”] [/color]

Your fittment sounds exactly as it should be in standard format. If you want to connect it to the air intake directly, you can make up a mod yourself or just fit the Lotus Motorsport intake duct connector A111E0023K was �32.51 (ex VAT) in 2002.

Cheers for that Steve,

Pete.

I’ve just taken the intake connector off on my car so it would be available for less.

Be aware that even with the connector the hose isn’t long enough to reach so you need an extension as well (I bodged it on mine). Although I also have the old hose lying in the garage as well.

I would have thought that if you connected the inlet pipe directly to the opening then you are going to force more air into the engine air inlet pipe the faster you go, regardless of whether the engine wanted it or not.
It must be better to leave the filter in the area of the inlet and let it take however much air it needs. - and let the rest cool the engine bay.
Just the two penny worth of a humble ventilation engineer.

Mine just has a K&N cone shaped filter in the area of the near side air scoopy inlet thing
It’s worked fine for 74000 miles so why change it.

I have a long hose!!! so it should reach!

Just to confirm this is the 7 inch wide black hose leading from the front of the airbox?

Might be interested in buying it from you…

Let me know!

Yes, it makes lots of sense to have as much (cold) air as possible and you do get a ram air effect with increasing speed. My just departed Bell and Colville 160 had a feed direct from the intake to the K&N filter with a baffle to protect from the less dense hot exhasut air…

Cheers,

Pete.

I have just moved the existing pipe to directly opposite the intake and tied it in place with cable ties.
That way you get some ram air and some cooling air…airflow increased by fitting side intake scoops.
One point to watch is clogging of filter as more crud will find its way into inlet pipe.
cant say it makes any difference to my performance though.

Be aware that even with the connector the hose isn’t long enough to reach so you need an extension as well (I bodged it on mine). Although I also have the old hose lying in the garage as well.

That does remind me that I also paid for a new (longer)length of ducting at the same time.

Hi there
What you need is a set of Carbon Fibre side intake scoops to assist the air flow into the trunking to the Carbon Air Box. If you are interested i manufacture them, drop me a U2U.

Mine just has a K&N cone shaped filter in the area of the near side air scoopy inlet thing
It’s worked fine for 74000 miles so why change it.

Tone, I don’t know what quantifiable change it makes but pulling cool(er) external air into the engine has to be better than warmer engine bay air. I think the ram air effect was tested, and largly discounted, by someone a little time ago, albeit that fitting air scoops do improve this.

Hi there
What you need is a set of Carbon Fibre side intake scoops to assist the air flow into the trunking to the Carbon Air Box. If you are interested i manufacture them, drop me a U2U.

Yes! Already have a set of excellent ones via the Edwards… and yes they will increase ram air into where it needs to be… and they look great too! Thanks anyway, Pete.