Rubber Protection

I’m now the proud owner of a strip of the rubber protector for the leading edge of the rear clam. (�8.28)Has anyone fitted these themselves? and, if so, do they glue on or just wedge in the gap.If you need to glue them - what would you reccommend - some of that two pack araldite stuff okay?Cheers, Tim

Hmm, I was told by Nick Adams at Lotus that these would be free (indeed he gave a set to me, Steve + Phil for free)I thought there would only be a charge if your dealer fitted themAs for fitting, undo the screws at the base of the clam (underneath the car) and the larger screw in the door shut.You should then be able to pull the clam out from the rest of the car.I then dipped them in oil to make them squeeze between clam + bodywork easily.You need to make sure they hook fully behind the clam… once the clam is pushed back + screwed in place, they shouldn’t move.

I ordered these from my dealer who eventually tried to sell me the black sticky bits that fit in the recesses where the rear reflectors are. I said that was not what I ordered and he agreed!I am now waiting for the right part and have told them to check with Lotus as to the “cost” of these having advised them that Lotus are supposed to be providing them FOC. I’m waiting patiently.Mike

83man, Please let me know how you get on.I have attempted to reduce the rear clam damage by introducing mud flaps to the rear of the front wheel archs.Whilst this has not been tatally successful it has helped.Even if payment of �8.28 is required, it would be good to know when they are in inventory, its a small price to pay for clam defence.Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the help.Ordered mine from Gordon Lamb in Sheffield as I work close by. Although I had to fax the parts dept a few pages and pics from this forum to help explain what it was I needed. Part arrived in a few days. Spoke to a helpful chap called Damien.On another topic - my air-con pipe is on back-order from Peter Smiths…Be good if Lotus beef up the design somewhat otherwise I suspect it may break again judging by others’ experiences.Cheers, Tim

Logic,No news yet even though I’ve just booked my car in for an interim oil change.BTW I’ve also made some front mudguards fro floppy rubber - seems OK.Mike

quote:Originally posted by Admin5:I then dipped them in oil to make them squeeze between clam + bodywork easily.I would recommend washing up liquid. Just as slippery but will eventually wash away leaving no residue and is therefore less likely to lubricate them on their unintentional way out. Also paint and some rubbers do not like oil at all. Check the instructions on your next packet of condoms with regard the use of lubricants. I would not recommend washing up liquid here though.

Good advice Reg, thanks!!! [image]http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein/sex2.gif[/image]

Guys…re the fitting of the rubber strips…its one of those things that’s easy once you know how, as I found when fitting mine…i.e. spent two hours on one side of the car until I had worked it out and then ten minutes to fit the other side…If you open the door on the side in question you will see two bolts that require an allen key for removal…remove them…then using a spanner go directly underneath the car and remove the three small bolts around the same area you are working on that bolt the underneath of the clamshell to the base of the car…then Hey Presto !!!..the whole clamshell moves, allowing you to fit the protector with ease and to the right depth so that when you push the clam back into place and re-fit the bolts the protector cannot be dislodged…hope this helps and sorry as perhaps I should of thought of posting the info earlier

I have heard alot about these fangled dangled clip on rubber protectors but the parts guys at Storm havn’t. Can anybody supply me with the Lotus Part Number. It may be useful.Thanks for the anticipated response. [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]

quote:Originally posted by Maverick:Guys…re the fitting of the rubber strips…its one of those things that’s easy once you know how, as I found when fitting mine…i.e. spent two hours on one side of the car until I had worked it out and then ten minutes to fit the other side…If you open the door on the side in question you will see two bolts that require an allen key for removal…remove them…then using a spanner go directly underneath the car and remove the three small bolts around the same area you are working on that bolt the underneath of the clamshell to the base of the car…then Hey Presto !!!..the whole clamshell moves, allowing you to fit the protector with ease and to the right depth so that when you push the clam back into place and re-fit the bolts the protector cannot be dislodged…hope this helps and sorry as perhaps I should of thought of posting the info earlierMaverick.Any idea where to order these ‘essential pieces of kit’ from? May save me from some serious painting of lower half of the car!p.s. Thanks for the instructions - appreciated.W140 YAL

W140YALYou should be able to get your friendly local Lotus dealer to supply (and fit) them - cheers Tim

Hello All,had mine fitted FOC by my local dealer 2 weeks ago. Very smart!!Mike

For infothe part no for these edging strips is:A111B0877K [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]Cheers, Tim