Rover K-series Turbo

Hello, I have a S1 elise and have suffered head gasket failure and my plan was to bullet proof the thing get a new head (I liked the vulcan head) and a remote thermostat but for the same money I can pick up a low milage rover 1.8 turbo does it fit ? i read somewhere that it didn’t but hey i’ve seen a rover V8 if the front of a mini so somebody must have managed it

AFAIK the problem is that the turbo installation would be right where the fire wall is on the elise and therefore cannot easily be made to fit. By time you have worked around that problem, you will have spent a great deal of money.

A vulcan head and cams will add significant power, but you will need to ensure the bottom end on your existing engine is up to the task if you plan to raise the rev limit etc.

i have a elise S1 turbo done by komotec ,and it works perfectly.
some modification must be done with the firewalle before

It isn’t quite the same thing. I think he is referring to the OE 1.8 turbo engine that appears in a couple of MG models, rather than a modification of his existing k series engine which would then require a lot of internal modification.

I looked into this mod a while ago, and the information that i could find (so don’t take it as gospel) on this engine showed that it was relatively low powered for a turbo application.I believe it’s state of tune was kept low due to the fact that the enigine wasn’t that strong internally ; but maybe someone can let us know for definite weather this is the case.

I looked into this mod a while ago, and the information that i could find (so don’t take it as gospel) on this engine showed that it was relatively low powered for a turbo application.I believe it’s state of tune was kept low due to the fact that the enigine wasn’t that strong internally ; but maybe someone can let us know for definite weather this is the case.

No it is a totally std short end bar lower cr pistons, but the reason it produces the output it does is because it was intended to replace KV6 and so just some extra low torque was the aim. Personally I thing it is totally the wrong engine for the Lotus, don’t like turbos anyway, but if you are going to have one you may as well have at least 500bhp.

However they are not good drives - try an Audi - all bluster and no finess, it’s like going from a Spitfire to a Lancaster.

No fun

s

So whos audi elise have you driven? Or are you refering to an Audi car?

Hello, I have a S1 elise and have suffered head gasket failure and my plan was to bullet proof the thing get a new head (I liked the vulcan head) and a remote thermostat but for the same money I can pick up a low milage rover 1.8 turbo does it fit ? i read somewhere that it didn’t but hey i’ve seen a rover V8 if the front of a mini so somebody must have managed it

Here is a plot of 1.8t as installed in a 75, just for info plotted against some fettled VVC engines.

I’ve driven a rover 75t and its a fine old car and the curve suits it, cheap to run, good emmisions class etc.

I honestly don’t think that as it stands it would be an easy/cheap install nor would it suit the car. but nothing wrong with giving it a go - there are a coupl eof tuning options around for the 75t so you might be able to make it streatch its legs a little without costing a fortune more that the basic install.

john

Here is a plot…

Here is a plot…

ooops

http://www.dyno-plot.co.uk/dyno/dynoplot/id=134_144&sort=rec&but_sea=qs&sea_simple=VVC/index.htm

Note to driver, keep revs above 4000.

I’ve driven a rover 75t and its a fine old car and the curve suits it, cheap to run, > good emmisions class > etc.

One of the main reasons they built it.

I’ve driven a rover 75t and its a fine old car and the curve suits it, cheap to run, > good emmisions class > etc.

yep - the kv6 was company car tax death sentence IIRC

One of the main reasons they built it.

So whos audi elise have you driven? Or are you refering to an Audi car?

I think he’s going to ignore that, too awkward a question.

Bernard

just registered to post this (though have beena very long time reader of this forum)

iv been running a turbo charged 1.4 16v k-series in my mini for a wee while, its constantly under development and limited by the clutch, which slips at anything over 16psi

Before ypu click this link though, please understand this is a VERY low budget installation, I dont have unlimited funds but im attempting to find the weak spots when turboing a “k” and wil develop the idea slowly over time, replacing things when they break. needless to say the next thing i change will be the clutch when i can afford one.

here

so far though, results are very impressive, the torque over my old 1.6 nasp unit is really noticable, and figured it may be of interest to a few of you updates will be posted in the thread i linked to aove as and when they happen.