Roof off on an S1 ??!?!?

Hi Guys:

Yes, I know the Exige is supposed to run with the roof on at all times!

However, I’ve seen some pics of a damaged S1, without the front clam, back clam and roof.

Plus, I saw the roof on the ground and it wasn’t attached to any other body parts.

So my question is… is it technically (not morally) possible to remove the S1’s roof off?

Now I’m really confused.

Thanks guys

P.S: I can post the pics if anyone is willing to host them.

[Sighs] Yes, it is possible.

It is not structural part of the car.

HOWEVER, you’re likely to find it leaks after you put it back and more importantly there are some that feel the rear clam is in serious threat of coming off if used at speed without it (I can’t really comment on that last one but 1) see no reason to doubt them and 2) rather like the justice of that ).

Ian

It’s quite simple - if you want a soft top car, friggin buy buy one that is designed/styled that way, just don’t buy an Exige & ruin it. If you want to take the roof off, sorry but you just don’t “get” what an Exige is about.

Damn, I’ve taken the bait again

but you just don’t “get” what an Exige is about.

Neither do Lotus if the S2 Exige is anything to go by ! haha

It’s quite simple - if you want a soft top car, friggin buy buy one that is designed/styled that way, just don’t buy an Exige & ruin it. If you want to take the roof off, sorry but you just don’t “get” what an Exige is about.

Damn, I’ve taken the bait again

Very easy for you to say Mr. Pesky

Unfortunately around these parts 40�C days between June and September are very, very common. In the sun, at the peak of summer you can get an easy 43-45�C.

As some of you have putted, the A/C is absolute rubish, weights a ton and doesn’t cool the air.

The inside temperature on the Exige, after proper warming up is absolutely insane, even for some of you who live in a relatively cold place, imagine how it would feel under 43�C.

Still, i’m not planning on driving without the roof. As you said, that’s not the Exige’s philosophy.

Nevertheless, it’s nice to know that, if I want to, I have the possibility.

How about a roof in clear perspex, so it would look topless and drive properly ??

Ducks for cover - errr a roof that is !!

How about a roof in clear perspex, so it would look topless and drive properly ??

It would make an even worse effect, similar to a greenhouse.

We would roast inside the Exige

Doh !! - polarised perspex ???

Unfortunately around these parts 40�C days between June and September are very, very common. In the sun, at the peak of summer you can get an easy 43-45�C.

As some of you have putted, the A/C is absolute rubish, weights a ton and doesn’t cool the air.

Seriously though, the aircon in my S1 was quite good. Provided yoy kept the windows shut, & made sure that the pipes weren’t leaking & the compressor was properly gassed. Only at the extremes on track is the weight an issue, & then again so much is down to driver skill.

If you must go for an Exige (instead of an Elise) you should save up & buy an S2, which, will prove to be more reliable, more easily serviced, & does have good aircon

PS I am of course talking about Rover K series (& Lotus ECU etc) reliability above.

[Sighs] Yes, it is possible.

It is not structural part of the car.

HOWEVER, you’re likely to find it leaks after you put it back and more importantly there are some that feel the rear clam is in serious threat of coming off if > used at speed > without it (I can’t really comment on that last one but 1) see no reason to doubt them and 2) rather like the justice of that ).

Ian

What do you mean speed? 30, 40, 60, 80, 100, 130?

Doh !! - polarised perspex ???

hum… don’t believe I met the fella

Seriously though, don’t know anything about polarized perspex, but the issue here isn’t the fact that I see or don’t see the sky.

How does a perspex roof, polarised or not, help clear the heat inside the car?

Seriously though, the aircon in my S1 was quite good. Provided yoy kept the windows shut, & made sure that the pipes weren’t leaking & the compressor was properly gassed. Only at the extremes on track is the weight an issue, & then again so much is down to driver skill.

If you must go for an Exige (instead of an Elise) you should save up & buy an S2, which, will prove to be more reliable, more easily serviced, & does have good aircon

PS I am of course talking about Rover K series (& Lotus ECU etc) reliability above.

You’re the first person I know that says his Exige A/C was good.

The S2 hasn’t the same looks of the S1 and it’s a little bit chubby. It needed to loose some weight. Besides it’s 10K more expensive.

I would rather spend those 10K in a engine conversion + Nitros + driver training, than on a car that really doesn’t make my day.

I only wish the Exige I buy has a good A/C.

It doesn’t, but it does stop more from coming in!!

Really you would need some extra vents from the front, as seen on George’s race car …

It doesn’t, but it does stop more from coming in!!

Really you would need some extra vents from the front, as seen on George’s race car …

For that, the roof will do just fine.

Or as Uldis has done, block up all the holes from the sills and engine bay getting back into the cabin, making sure the heater matrix can be closed off (or fit a PRRT and fit a valve to the heater matrix so it’ll stay cold)…

…I’m also going to put a full silver tint on the rear window to try and reflect some of the heat… And if that doesn’t work then I’m gonna rip of the rear view mirror and cover it with heatsheild

Regardless of what anyone says, that rear screen soaks up heat and becomes a proper radiator into the cabin after an hour or so…

You’re the first person I know that says his Exige A/C was good.

I actually said “quite good” Since 2003 when my car had a good look over by Gav Kershaw, Scholar, & the factory, I have consistently said that the aircon was quite good, provided it was in proper working order, it’s just a shame that so many others haven’t been bothered to get their’s sorted

That will definetely be the first thing i’ll try to sort out.

I apologise if this has been mentioned already, but the engine cover on an S1 is bolted to the roof. So I guess no roof also means no engine cover???

Sean…

What do you mean speed? 30, 40, 60, 80, 100, 130?

Don’t know, thankfully I’m not aware anybody’s been daft enough to try it!

Ian