Roof air intake - real or fake?

Can anyone confirm if the roof vents are entirely cosmetic or do they have a purpose? Lotus’ attempt at fixing my roof after 6-7 weeks has totally failed, so I’m thinking of sealing them up with something behind the black mesh to prevent water from leaking through into the cabin.

If you’ve ever seen the heat haze above an Exige after a run, you’ll see they’re quite useful.The forward facing vent also rams air into the engine bay half-way down the rear lid.I wouldn’t block them if I were you.

I disagree, I’ve just had a good look at mine and it would seem that as soon as the engine cover is down it blocks the path of air from the front vent, though the rear one looks like it lets heat escape upwards.Can anyone else confirm this?

I thought the air intake was just ‘for fancy’… Just like most of the others on the car…

quote:Originally posted by X1GGE:I disagree, I’ve just had a good look at mine and it would seem that as soon as the engine cover is down it blocks the path of air from the front vent, though the rear one looks like it lets heat escape upwards.Can anyone else confirm this?Look again, the air is deflected downwards onto the rear window, which helps reduce heatsoak into the cabin. Have you felt how warm the back window gets right behind your head? It’s directly above the exhaust manifold, which has been known to glow red hot after a good thrash.