Rolling road

I know it is very subjective, but I am very pleased my Exige S has been on 2 sets of rollers and produced 238bhp on the first time and 236bhp yesterday both times with 172lb/ft of torque.
The only modifications to the car are a 2bular sports cat and 24" rear box and I have also fitted a green panel filter.
Neither of the runs showed any leaning at the top end so it looks like the learning ecu is doing a good job. Not a bad result considering an average of 17hp gain for very little investment.

Was it baselined before the changes?

Was it baselined before the changes?

Ding

Yep, would’ve been nice to see a standard car ran on the same day for comparison at least…

Weltmeister recently ran mine and recorded 191.7,mods were piper X and 2bular single exit.

marc.

Sadly it never got baselined as I never got time to get it on the rollers before the new exhaust was fitted, now to get some more power and replace the suspension and brakes. I still can’t decide between Nitron or Olhins I almost decided on Nitrons then got sidetracked with the power upgrades so now I’m undecided again

Both will do the job - but a fair bit more work has gone into the Ohlins for the S2 Exige - although Ohlins see to come with quite soft spring rates may want to specify something a little stiffer - you dont loose much in comfort factor but well worth it on track as you are not trying to make the dampers do the springs job.

Weltmeister recently ran mine and recorded 191.7,mods were piper X and 2bular single exit.

marc.

Thats not your graphie car parked outside next to Mr Beves is it? I parked up on friday and we had three graphite Exiges in a row (common as muck)

I know it is very subjective, but I am very pleased my Exige S has been on 2 sets of rollers and produced 238bhp on the first time and 236bhp yesterday both times with 172lb/ft of torque.
The only modifications to the car are a 2bular sports cat and 24" rear box and I have also fitted a green panel filter.
Neither of the runs showed any leaning at the top end so it looks like the learning ecu is doing a good job. Not a bad result considering an average of 17hp gain for very little investment.

That’s a good “gain” for just a zorst and filter isn’t it?

Or maybe Lotus are actually being conservative with their factory figures for once!!! It would be a major change for them…

Or maybe Lotus are actually being conservative with their factory figures for once!!! It would be a major change for them…

Don’t take rolling road figures as “gospel”. Perhaps the power is actually down from what it was before the mods - who knows, because “before” & “after” runs were not done?

If you want an “extra” 5bhp or so, inflate the tyres & do a power run in 2nd gear

Don’t take rolling road figures as “gospel”. Perhaps the power is actually down from what it was before the mods - who knows, because “before” & “after” runs were not done?

If you want an “extra” 5bhp or so, inflate the tyres & do a power run in 2nd gear

I was quite carefull to give the best comparison as possible with the 2 sets of rollers so I did the tyre pressures before each session and used the same fuel, I wish I had had the chance to take a before reading but I never got the time I was to interested in driving the car when I first got it
I think the largest gain has probably come from the sport cat then the exhaust with probably nothing from the air filter, it just made me feel good putting it on, well it did till I tried to get the lid back on the airbox. I decided against an induction kit as they can cause issues with the maf sensors that are very close to the airbox.

If the Lotus exhaust was really bad you may see up to 12BHP improvement but typically I’d expect to see about 6BHP difference so I think either you managed to do a quick power curve with a cold exhaust (lower back pressure considerably) or Lotus are telling porkies.

Both will do the job - but a fair bit more work has gone into the Ohlins for the S2 Exige - although Ohlins see to come with quite soft spring rates may want to specify something a little stiffer - you dont loose much in comfort factor but well worth it on track as you are not trying to make the dampers do the springs job.

Thanks for the advise, still not sure though. I do want to get much firmer springs and reduce the ride height it seems to roll so much compared to my old S1 Sport190. I just don’t have confidence in the car yet on track and I think most of that come from the extra roll and softness of the suspension.

If the Lotus exhaust was really bad you may see up to 12BHP improvement but typically I’d expect to see about 6BHP difference so I think either you managed to do a quick power curve with a cold exhaust (lower back pressure considerably) or Lotus are telling porkies.

No it was definately hot I took the car for a 10 mile run to make sure it was properly hot before the power run, then it sat idling for about 10 minutes while they worked out how to strap it down (heat soaking the intercooler nicely) then they did 3 power runs, the middle one was the average out of the 3 runs, so that is the one I am using for my data.

Just had my sports cat off for the standard cat as dealer said it was setting off the MIL light and the difference is very noticeable. It feels like a different car, with the sports cat fitted the throttle response felt more instant and the acceleration was a lot stronger. I think its a lot more than 10bhp.