Restoration project

I’m planning to restore a two-wheeled fun machine . . . for the cyclists among us it’s a Vitus 979 – as used by Sean Kelly (albeit in KAS team colours) for many Classic race victories.
Had it tucked away for a few years now after I was given it by a cycling club pal. It’s a bare frame and I’ve just ordered a set of original forks from France.
About my limit technically but hope to have it out by the spring.
It’s aluminium tubing glued to cast aluminium . . . sound familiar?
1-IMG_1582.jpg

This is not showing in my feed. Wonder why?

It is now. Showed up after I queried its non-appearance. Odd.

Very nice, do you have a classic groupset to go with it?

Cool Steve.

Not as yet. Campag will be expensive (seen a seatpost at 200+ euros), so still doing research. I’ve seen a few with Shimano or Mavic. Any suggestions welcomed.

Started clean up of alloy on frame.
The cast duralumin head tube is quite badly tarnished but not pitted. I’ve tried Solvol Autosol with some success and some heavy duty rubbing with ‘magic sponge’ but it’s not yet as sparkly as I’d like.
Anyone any idea what product I might use?
I’ve thought about machine buffing and any guidance on that approach would be welcome.
Ta

Bought a set of wheels with Campag Record hubs and Mavic GP4 tub rims which should be in period with the frame which I believe is from 1986.
Gears, brakes, seat post, seat, crank, now required. . .

Maybe we should have a lunchtime time trial at Anglesey,…there’s a few cyclists on here.

Sounds like a good wheeze. May I suggest a prize for the winner…

I’d love to take part but someone will need to Man the stopwatch :smiley:

Haven’t got a bike rack for the Exige . . .

There will be no way I would be able to get round Anglesey on my latest Bike renovation, no gears!!!

Handy bit of kit.

Just noticed this thread, love the Vitus with Sean Kelly provenance.
I used the compete at National Level with Boardman, O’bree etc…but moved on to cars. Would like to see pics of it built up. Nice work!
Edit: If it’s of interest, I do have ‘in period’ photos of TDF bikes, and specifically, those ridden by Mr Kelly, happy to send via WhatsApp. Mavic and/or Campag is the right stuff, Chorus would work nicely, but not cheap these days.

Sorry I’ve not responded to your post. Only just seen it. Your “palmares” far exceeds mine . . . Gone for Campag Record wheel set with tubs.
Scouring the world for kit. Got Chorus seat post from Latvia! and a pair of Campag downtube shifters from Berlin!!
The rest is going to be expensive, I fear. I saw an entire 50th Anniversary Campag Record groupset in presentation box for 5,000 Euros. Won’t be buying that.

Wish you all the best in your search and look forward to seeing pics. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Feel free to message me if you want to talk classic pushbikes :slight_smile:

Project slowed a bit due to other interests. But I promised myself it would be on the road by April… May, at the latest.
Been planning NC 500 run and Jim Clark Memorial at Hockenheim, it’s all bloody go!!

My hope of having the Vitus on the road this year has evaporated due to inertia on my part and other things getting in the way. I still need to source a bottom bracket and headset plus some bars. The current state of the project
IMG_1834.jpg

It’s moving on. Head set and BB installed. Wheels being trued and serviced. Assembly continues. Need a six/ 8 sped block, handlebars, cabling, pedals . . .